Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79GS850

Osiyo,

I just picked up a mint 79 GS850 with a factory installed windjammer set-up, nice. Only thing is when she idles and the rpm's get below 2000 the oil light flickers and gets brighter as the rpm's drop??? Any ideas as to problem and fix???

Rod Shropshire Boston

What kind of oil does it have?? I would check with a pressure gauge if you have one the light comes on at 1.5 lbs, it could be a bad oil pressure switch. Their are also two O rings on the oil pump that could leak along with a cloged oil pickup maybe????

Comment

Oil and filter were changed with Suzuki products, my 83 never had same symptoms so I'm just trying to narrow it down. Thanks

Rod

Comment

You might try dropping the oil pan and removing and cleaning the oil pickup screen. Some folks have reported finding some really nasty stuff in there.

I'm not 100% certain that you can remove the oil pan without removing the engine, but it looks possible on my '83. YMMV.

Normal oil pressures in these engines are so low that it's hard to gauge them accurately, but it's pretty easy to take the oil pressure switch apart and make sure everything is able to move freely and that the wiring is OK. It's a pretty simple switch.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
          I'm not 100% certain that you can remove the oil pan without removing the engine, but it looks possible on my '83. YMMV
          I had to take the exhaust off to remove the oil pan. You might be able to do it without taking the exhaust off, but given the number of bolts you have to remove, it is probably easier to take the exhaust off.

Comment

79GS850

Still narrowing down the flickering oil light, but I also need a front fork brace,(stabilizer),anybody have a recommendation?

Comment

you don't really need a fork brace to "stabilize" an 850.

unless you ride hard on curvy, bumpy, mountain roads at insane speeds with lots of weight.

first try riding it and gradually pushing it, you may find you don't need a brace.

i'm not saying a fork brace is useless, just that it's a relatively low priority item with most 850s ridden sensibly.

i would first take off the forks, drain the old oil, put some fresh oil in, maybe 15 or 20 weight, and while you're at it, replace the springs with progressives or something better.

betcha you won't have to spring for a brace after that...

Comment

I have a fork brace on my GS1000G, and it holds mint on bends/curves at insane speeds..
                You don't mention the mileage on your 850, It sounds like worn rings, but if the mileage is super low it could be a sticking oil sender plunger.

Comment

Working...
                X