Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are all the things that can make a GS smoke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are all the things that can make a GS smoke?

This is a question posted to anyone and everyone that has any input at all. I am trying to gather info.

For those of you who have not seen or been following this thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ic.php?t=34488 (another one of my forever threads it seems) :roll: I'll bring you up to date quickly.

The bike smokes. Anyone who has followed it can attest to that. I am not 100% convinced it is jetting/carb setup at this point. I have tried a million (not really) combinations of mains and pilot/air settings. The valves are adjusted correctly to be within tolerances. The fuel float levels are all the same and are roughly 3/8" to 1/2 from the top of the bowl down.

Anyway, all that said. I know jetting and carb setup will make it smoke when not right. But this thing gets 24 MPG and smokes no matter what setup I have used?

What other problems could there be outside of the things mentioned above that could be making my bike smoke so bad?

Re: What are all the things that can make a GS smoke?

Re: What are all the things that can make a GS smoke?
    Well, peer pressure, imitating elders, or a desire to look "cool" are the most commonly given reasons to start smoking.
    sigpic

SUZUKI:
    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Peer Pressure? -Pete '80 1100L

Comment

Beat me by a minute Griffin!

Comment

I already made my mind up to be disappointed if I didn't get some replies like this

But the question is a serious one. If anyone has any technical knowledge to share with me, it would be appreciated.

Comment

Well, technically it's a psycho-knee-jerk reaction to the input of other idiots (friends), who in turned fell victim to the pressure to "smoke" before you ... I'm no Psychologist, but I hope that explains "peer pressure" for you! 8O

Steve 8)

Comment

Man.... did I come late to the party or what? All the good (bad) lines are taken.

Comment

mine smoked for awhile till i set valve adjustment and rebuilt carbs never
                smoked again took awhile to get carbs right but when done i would get
                45-50 mpg

bill acamo
                bil366

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy
                  Well, technically it's a psycho-knee-jerk reaction to the input of other idiots (friends), who in turned fell victim to the pressure to "smoke" before you ... I'm no Psychologist, but I hope that explains "peer pressure" for you! 8O

Steve 8)

Beautiful!-Pete

Comment

Originally posted by bill acamo
                    mine smoked for awhile till i set valve adjustment and rebuilt carbs never
                    smoked again took awhile to get carbs right but when done i would get
                    45-50 mpg

bill acamo
                    bil366
                    Well that's encouraging Bill. I am going to keep at it and hope that is all it is. I must still be way off then though :?

Comment

Rings, valve seals ... mostly rings ... did I mention Rings ?? :? 8)

Comment

Does the exhaust smell like burning oil or fuel?? 8)

What color is the smoke??

Oil level high?? :roll:

Comment

Will your fellow riders stay behind you?? 8O 8)

Comment

Is your bike under a lot of stress?? Stress can cause an increase in an already smoking bike .... 8)

Comment

Has your bike moved on to the "harder stuff"?? Might need to check into a rehab (rebuild) ...

ok - I'm finished ... 8)

Comment

Working...
                              X