adjusting chaing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adjusting chaing

I need to tighten mine up, its tapping the chain cover during decel. Whats the procedure? I've never done it before.

Loosen the axle nut.
    Loosen the jam nut on the adjuster screws.
    Adjust to proper tension. (Make sure timing marks on sides are the same)
    Tighten Jam nuts on adjusters.
    Tighten Axle nut.
    Replace Cotter pin.
    Ride.

Comment

Adjust when cold, lube when hot.

See above "how to" very simple after you've done it once, with a center stand
      Keith
      -------------------------------------------
      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

what about lubing up the clutch cable? Just spray some WD40 down it or do I need to go more in depth with it?

Comment

I check the tension when the bike's off the stands and I'm sitting on the bike. If I figure I need to tighten it, I put the bike on the centre stand and rotate the wheel until I find the loosest spot. Then I go from there. Remember if you've got the axle loose, chain tension will increase once everthing is snugged up. Usually everything works out, but if the chain has an ultra tight spot, you may have to loosen it a bit. 8)
          Kevin
          E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
          "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
          Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Originally posted by gasisontheright
            what about lubing up the clutch cable? Just spray some WD40 down it or do I need to go more in depth with it?
            You can use chain lube.

There's a"sprcial" fitting to get the lube into the cable, not all over the fitting. Or jam the little tube into the cable and spray. Squeeze the lever a bunch of times and see if it leaks out the boittom of the cable, motor/clutch end. Don't be surprised if it does, just watch for the extra
            seeping out onto your boot or the cases.
            Keith
            -------------------------------------------
            1980 GS1000S, blue and white
            2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

When adjusting the chain, you need to align the chain along the front & rear sprocket, and not just use the marks on the swingarm. The marks are not always aligned with each other. I've seen bikes where there is a full mark difference on the swingarm when the chain is properly aligned.
              JP
              1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
              1992 Concours
              2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
              2007 FJR

Comment

Another way to get the front and rear aligned is using the string method. http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/sportryde...ntmethod.shtml. The marks on the swingarm are seldom accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                  Another way to get the front and rear aligned is using the string method. http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/sportryde...ntmethod.shtml. The marks on the swingarm are seldom accurate.
                  You've got an extra period at the end of the url. http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/sportryde...ntmethod.shtml should work better

Comment

Working...
                  X