speedo won't go above 40...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speedo won't go above 40...

As I mentioned in another thread, I had a minor 10 mph crash while swerving to avoid a merging car and, among other things, the instrument panel got a TINY bit of road rash. Just enough, apparently, to bend the speedo mounting bracket which caused the orange cylindrical plastic speedo container to shatter into a half-dozen pieces.

I took it apart, blew all the tiny pieces out, and examined it. Everything *seemed* to be in order, so I epoxied it all back together and reinstalled it into my '80 GS850G. I started my bike up and idled to the end of the driveway, satisfied to see the speedo needle flutter. Accelerating down the street I was further pleased to see the needle move smoothly and, apparently, accurately.

However, I quickly noticed that it wouldn't go above 40 mph. The needle would just park itself at 35-40 mph, so long as I was going at least that fast. When I would slow down below 35-40 the needle seems to accurately dip accordingly. It has good response at slower speeds, too.

Any ideas? Anyone seen this before? I saw a speedo on ebay for $150, which is quite prohibitive at this point, unfortunately...

Re: speedo won't go above 40...

Originally posted by j2x
    I saw a speedo on ebay for $150, which is quite prohibitive at this point, unfortunately...
    No advice on fixing what you've got, but if it's unfixable, look at bicycle computers. Sigma is the one I usually see recommended since it'll handle up to 180 mph. It should set you back around $20.

Comment

I was thinking of that, and got all excited when I considered the possibility of removing my instrument panel entirely- way stealthier. But there's no way to record RPMs, right?

Comment

Originally posted by j2x
        I was thinking of that, and got all excited when I considered the possibility of removing my instrument panel entirely- way stealthier. But there's no way to record RPMs, right?
        There are probably digital tachs available for motorcycles, but bicycle computers won't have them. I don't think the ones that monitor cadence would expect the pedals to go around thousands of times per minute :-)

(You probably want to keep around things like your oil pressure light anyhow.)

These aren't cheap, but they're kinda nifty -- instrumentation in your mirror frames!

Comment

wow! those mirror instruments are SWEET! Considering I've busted two mirrors in the last three months, that could get expensive.

Comment

80 you got stuck with the 85mph speedo I have a 140mph speedo that should work from 77-79 GS750 $25

Comment

Originally posted by j2x
              However, I quickly noticed that it wouldn't go above 40 mph. The needle would just park itself at 35-40 mph, so long as I was going at least that fast. When I would slow down below 35-40 the needle seems to accurately dip accordingly. It has good response at slower speeds, too.
              I had a similar problem when I first rode my 750. It just needed to have the shaft on the speedo lubed - unfortunately you need to take it apart to get to it. I put some WD-40 on the shaft right where it pivots and worked it in by turning the needle back and forth. It works great now - although I haven't tested it very far above 100.

Comment

Originally posted by ptm
                I had a similar problem when I first rode my 750. It just needed to have the shaft on the speedo lubed - unfortunately you need to take it apart to get to it. I put some WD-40 on the shaft right where it pivots and worked it in by turning the needle back and forth.
                what shaft are you talking about?

Comment

The shaft that the needle is attached to that passes through the face of the gauge. It's not a jeweled movement and the lube in it gets gummy after a while.

That may not be the problem. The fact that it seems to operate normally below 40, points to something else. Mine was acting similarly, but it was a little sluggish below the 30-40 range. There may be something else going on, but either way it looks like you'll have to take it apart again. That's going to be a challenge given the repairs it's already been through.

Comment

Working...
                  X