No Power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Power?

Hey all, I am new to the forum so I will introduce myself first. My name is Chris and I am from Central, IL. Cozee pointed me to this place. We met on the Chopper forums. I personally do not own a GS but I have a good friend who had one given to him missing a couple of parts. It is an 82 GS850L. We have gathered the parts and when we gave it power nothing. I can bypass the selinoid on it and it turns over but nothing from the starter button. There is power going to the button and from the button but for some odd reason I cannot figure it out. That is the first problem.

Second, Since I could bypass the selonoid I decided to try and start it that way. There is power to the coils but using a screwdriver on the end of plug wire there is no spark. I even removed plug and held it close to the frame and tried?

Anyone have any ideas where I should begin? I was thinking the coils might be bad but hate to spend a bunch of money on some only to find out it is something else. If the coils were bad do you think that would keep it from turning over with the starter button?

Chris

you need to solve the starter problem first. Here is how the current travels. First the Orange/ White wire that leaves from the 3rd fuse from the top on the right side fuse panel. that orange/White wire goes to the ENGINE/KILL switch, the current travels thru the switch in the RUN position and by means of a Orange/White jumper wire in the switch goes to the STARTER BUTTON, Leaving the STARTER BUTTON is a Yellow/Green wire, that wire goes to the STARTER DISCONNECT switch on the underside of the Clutch handle. When you close that clutch the SAFETY SWITCH inside sends current thru another Yellow/Green wire that goes to the Solenoid, that is the small wire that is soldered to the top of the solenoid, that goes thru the case of the solenoid to ground completing the circuit, that closes the contacts for the 2 large terminals on top that sends battery current to the starter.
    Couple of things you can check, make sure the Solenoid is good and grounded, sometimes the battery box is insulated by bushings front and back and that battery box is not grounded, I had to on my bike literally provide a separate ground wire from the engine to the screw that holds the solenoid in place, that is a must that ground must be there because even if voltage is present at the yellow terminal if that case isn't grounded the solenoid wont work.
    I have also taken apart my start/kill switch and found the terminals corroded, careful when you remove it there is a spring and copper cap on the starter button. Clean them up with sandpaper if necessary.
    I would check for voltage at the small yellow/green terminal on top of the solenoid, you might need a second set of hands to do this because you need to have the ignition switch on, turn the kill switch to run, pull in the clutch handle and press the starter button, all while you hold the positive meter lead to the yellow terminal and the negative to ground. You should see 12 volts give or take batter condition.
    Simple circuit... Orange/White wire to Right hand switch via a 7 pin molex connector, leaves the switch assembly via a Yellow/Green wire to the left hand switch, leaves that switch via a Yellow/Green wire to the wire on top of the solenoid.
    That clutch switch can get corroded too, loosen the 2 bolts and spin the clutch handle upside down to work on it. Remove the 2 small screws and a plastic holder will come off leaving a small circuit board with 2 copper rails like train tracks. There is a plastic post with a small spring inside that pushes up on the inside of a copper plate that is U shaped, as you pull the clutch handle in that post slides inside the handle and makes contact with the 2 rails completing the circuit. That small metal U shaped plate gets corroded and a light sanding cleans it good enough, or you can slide that switch back and forth changing the amount of pull required on the clutch handle for the switch to make, just like the right hand brake switch they are identical, literally.
    Also make sure all the fuses are good, they are all 10 amp fuses except the main fuse 2nd one from the bottom that is 15 amps.
    The ornage/White wire from the right hand switch also provides current to the coils vis a pigtail, if you are having problems with that switch you wont provide current to the coils even if you bypass the solenoid with a screwdriver, the coils are part of that circuit, get the starter circuit working and that should solve the coil not sparking problem..
    Let me know if you want a copy of the wiring print for that bike, it is a simple series circuit and if anything is out of adjustment or corroded you wont get the bike started. The clutch safety is to prevent the bike from being started in gear causing the bike to jump while it is trying to start.

Comment

Wow Brycraft. I thank you very much. I am going to print this out and look into the situation again in the morning and see if I can find the problem. I will keep you informed.

Chris

Comment

Not being a wise a$$, but did you squeeze in the clutch when pressing the starter button?

Suzuki has had this safety feature for years.
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I believe I did try that, but now that you ask I think I will double check myself...lol

Clutch has to be in even if in Neutral? Not use to that...lol

Thanks
          Chris

Comment

Originally posted by car99r
            Clutch has to be in even if in Neutral? Not use to that...lol

Thanks
            Chris
            Yeah, neither am I. If it really bugs you, (as it did with me), you can disable the stupid switch.
            Kevin
            E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
            "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
            Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Well, I quickly pulled it back into garage and hooked up the charger and tried the clutch idea but stll nothing. I will dig into wiring again tomorrow. Not enough time left tonight.

Thanks for the help guys. Greg (Cozee) said you guys were a bunch of good guys. He wasn't joking.

Chris

Comment

Well thanks so much for the wiring help. I found the problem. The ground was not hooked up coming out of large wiring harness right by battery box.

Now the good part. I cleaned out the tank and put some good fuel in it and gave her a shot. She started but it sounded like someone was on the inside beating the hell out of it with a ball peen hammer. I think I figured out why he got the bike for free...LOL

Looks like it might go as parts to ebay? Up to him

Nice bike and it is all complete.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                X