1998 GS500e idle problems- help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1998 GS500e idle problems- help!

Hi, I have a 1998 GS500E that I just had serviced- carb cleaning and general check. I got it home and it ran great until I started having item problems- was ideling too low and would die. I turned the adjuster screw on the bottom of the carb to allow the engine to idle faster and this seemed to work for a while.

However, after riding the bike, gas started coming out of the left carb while the bike was running so I took the bike back to the shop. They said nothing was wrong, it was just flooded.

Any help would be appreciated- no gas leaks out of the other carb and the bike runs fine as long as you do not let off the gas. Could the adjustement I made on the pin be causing the problem?
    The adjustement pin is # 23 on this diagram-

Thanks,

RT

Re: 1998 GS500e idle problems- help!

Float bowls dont just overflow, something IS wrong. Either the float stuck in position leaving the fuel inlet valve open or the the float was correctly in the closed position and but the float level is incorrect, or the "O" ring on the fuel inlet valve was not replaced or the wrong one used. I would take it back to the dealer and insist they check these three things. It appears they are giving you the runaround.

No, adjusting your idle screw has nothing to do with this.

Earl

Originally posted by Hoosier13
    Hi, I have a 1998 GS500E that I just had serviced- carb cleaning and general check. I got it home and it ran great until I started having item problems- was ideling too low and would die. I turned the adjuster screw on the bottom of the carb to allow the engine to idle faster and this seemed to work for a while.

However, after riding the bike, gas started coming out of the left carb while the bike was running so I took the bike back to the shop. They said nothing was wrong, it was just flooded.

Any help would be appreciated- no gas leaks out of the other carb and the bike runs fine as long as you do not let off the gas. Could the adjustement I made on the pin be causing the problem?
    The adjustement pin is # 23 on this diagram-

Thanks,

RT
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks for the information!

Comment

Also, the part frequently missed when a shop cleans carbs is #22 on the diagram you posted. What happens is they dip and shoot the carb bodies, but neglect to remove the fuel inlet valve insert, so the carb cleaner dissolves the already deteriorated old "O" ring. You get the carbs back after a service and half the time, they are worse than they were before you took them in.
        Float level setting or that "O" ring is going to be your problem.

Earl

Originally posted by Hoosier13
        Thanks for the information!
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
        X