Front sprocket seal questions. 81 1100e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front sprocket seal questions. 81 1100e

Does the Front sprocket seal have to be changed from the inside the engine. Or can it be replaced from the outside. I would really appreciate
    it if somone could explain this to me.

Seal

You haven't gotten any other replies so this may help a little. I've changed that seal on a Harley and a Yamaha....on both, it could be easily changed from the outside. However, even among the Japster bikes, there are often big engineering differences.

I'm sure if you call a shop that has experience with the older Suzukis, they can clear it up for you over the phone. Also, if you look at a schematic (easily found on the internet), you can probably figure it out by looking. Good luck!
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Thanks

I have called our local shop and there typical answer is "we are paid to fix bikes. Not stand around and answer questions that would take buisness away from us." makes sense. Ive looked at shcematics to no avail.

Guess I just go and change it for myself. Trial and error.
      Thanks

Comment

Good luck

I would certainly go a long way out of my way to never do business with that shop. Once you pull the counter sprocket, it will become obvious, I think. Good luck!

P.S. By the looks of the retaining ring on the schematic, I'd be willing to bet it's accessable by simply pulling the sprocket. Hope so!

Comment

I have figured it out

After I took off the sprocket I used an awl poked a small hole in the seal. Used a fine point sheetrock screw. and yanked the sucker out of there.

Installed pretty easy with a large piece of pvc pipe. No lets just hope there is no leaks.

Thanks

Comment

Coincidence

That's really a coincidence. The last time I did that job was on a Yamaha and I did it EXACTLY the same way.

Comment

Working...
            X