Speedometer cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer cable

Does any one else out there have a GS550L? I have a 1980, and it looks like to me in order to get the speedometer cable loose ath the front wheel that I will have to pull the wheel off. Can someone tell me if this is the case or if there is another way? It looks like the way it screws in that I won't be able to get to it without pulling the wheel off.

If the cable does not fix my problem, can someone point me to where I can get a digital speedometer to mount elsewhere on the bike?

It looks like the way it screws in that I won't be able to get to it without pulling the wheel off.
    I have never seen a speedo cable that you couldn't unscrew with everything intact, but I have not tried on your bike. Seems very strange to have to pull the wheel off just to unscrew the end of the cable from the drive. Got any pics or a parts diagram that would illustrate the problem?

If the cable does not fix my problem, can someone point me to where I can get a digital speedometer to mount elsewhere on the bike?
    I picked up a Sigma BC1600 bicycle computer for my 1100 to replace the dead odometer in my cluster. $18 off E-bay NIB. It has a permanent odometer (which is what I wanted), trip odo and a host of other features.

Mark

Comment

Sorry no pics as of right now, ut I will take some if I need to. The problem seems that the cable screws up from the bottom, right in between the tree and the rotor. I thought it seemed a bit weird that i would have to go through all that to change a speedo cable.

Comment

I picked up a Sigma BC1600 bicycle computer for my 1100 to replace the dead odometer in my cluster. $18 off E-bay NIB. It has a permanent odometer (which is what I wanted), trip odo and a host of other features.
        I looked one up online. How does the thing work? There is nothing to hook up to it?

Comment

The problem seems that the cable screws up from the bottom, right in between the tree and the rotor. I thought it seemed a bit weird that i would have to go through all that to change a speedo cable.
          There should be a collar that is knurled or serrated that unscrews and lets the cable pull free of the drive unit. I have pulled the cable on a couple of different bikes (ranging from my 1100 to my 97 ZX-9) and they were all the same in that detail. I would be surprised if yours was so very different down there.

I looked one up online. How does the thing work? There is nothing to hook up to it?
          A magnet is mounted on your front wheel and a sensor mounted on the fork leg. The sensor is connected to the computer by a wire and the computer portion mounts on your bars. Every time the magnet goes by, it trips the sensor and sends a signal to the computer. You have to measure your front wheel circumference and enter it into the computer during the set up, then it simply counts wheel revolutions and keeps time to calculate the distance and speed numbers. They are completely self-contained and run off an internal watch sized battery. They auto shut-off when the bike sits still for a few minutes, then reactivate when the sensor trips again as you start rolling. The batteries last quite a while, the last one I had on a bicycle lasted a couple of summers of steady use. You should see a complete summer from one, easily.

Mark

Comment

I got the cable changed and it still doesn't work. Looks like it's time for one of those bicycle computers.

The problem with getting my cable loose wasn't as big of a problem as I had thought it would be. The collar that the cabble attatches to had just spun to a point where the cable connection was between the brake disc and the fork. I loosened the axle and was then able to spin so that I could get, turned out to be no problem at all.

Comment

Try temp hooking the tach cable to the speedo to see if the speedo works.
              Put the bike on the centerstand & raise the front wheel Does the speedo cable turn when you turn the wheel ?? The speedo adapter could be bad ???

Comment

Great Idea! I'll give that a try.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X