Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking Head Gasket, 80 GS 750

Hello,

This is my first post on this site. I used to own an 81 GS750, loved the bike, was a big mistake ever selling it. I am going to look at an 80 GS750 today, with 27,000MI on it. (is this a lot of miles for an air-cooled engine?) The owner told me it's in "Fair" condition, it runs, but is leaking oil. When I asked him from where he told me he thought it was the head gasket. I do not have a lot of motorcycle experience, however I am a former truck mechanic and I am mechanically inclined. What type of project am I getting myself into if I go for this bike? How much is the gasket and related parts? He is asking $450OBO for the bike, I figured I would offer 200-250 for it.
    Any help or advice would be greatly apprecieated!!

Thanks,
    Greg

27,000 miles is nothing for a bike as long as the fluids have been
    changed on a regular basis and hasn't been beat to s**t. Good price
    for it as well.

You might get lucky and just need to tighten the head bolts per specs.
    If its still leaking then should be replaced. Gaskets are cheap.

Good luck.

Comment

20-30 thousand miles on a GS isnt anything to be concerned about, unless abused like mentioned above.

Should be worth $400 (or more) if actaully "fair".
      http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

If you are mechanical it is not hard to change a head gasket. You will need a manual though for torque sequences and timing procedures. I just did mine. All of those models leak. The new head gasket is of a different design and you will not have the problem again. I suggest replacing the cylinder base gasket also. You will find it hard as glass. You will need, base gasket, head gasket, set of rings, valve cover gasket, gasket and seal for the cam chain tensioner, oring and seal for the tach drive, New half round rubbers for the ends of the cam, new crush washers and orings for the head bolts, new timing cover gasket, new exhaust gaskets. Guessing $225 for parts.
        Guessing 3 or 4 hours for tear down, 3 or 4 hours to clean and hone, 5 or 6 hours to assemble.

Edit:
        While dissasembling be carfull. Old head gasket may have these little metal clips that hole them together. Don't drop them in the engine. Also while cleaning old gasket material pack the crankcase with rags to prevent getting stuf in there. Also, in the aft rear corners, on top of the transmission, when you remove the cylinder, you will see two tiny oil jets that just sit there. They are under the gasket. Nothing holds them in when the cyl and gasket is removed. Don,t loose them.

Comment

No go.........

Thanks a lot for all of the great info guys. I really apprecieate it. I decided to pass on this one though. On a second phone call the guy told me he was a dirt track racer and couldn't keep our appointment for Saturday because he was running late. Seems he had some trouble with as he called it "Jonny Law"

Just didn't seem like the type of person I wanted to buy something from. I would bet dimes to dollars he beat the crap out of it. So the search continues. Thanks agian.

Comment

Working...
          X