Top - End Noise 79 / GS 850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top - End Noise 79 / GS 850

I was travelling at approx. 6,000 r.p.m at 110 kph last night on my 1979 GS850. ( highway driving)
    Half way home the engine started to develop a slight noise. By the time I got home I noticed a slight loss in power and a noise from the top -end that was short of deafening. My first thought was a blown head gasket but the noise sounds more mechanical than a gasket.
    The cam -chain tensioner checks out O.K. This is clearly a different noise than the noise associated with the tensioner as I was able to determine and fix this problem earlier with help from this forum.
    The bike is not blowing smoke. Starts and idles when it is both hot and cold. Could these symptoms be indicative of the need for valve shimming or have I finally blown it up.

since you lost power I would run a compression test first , and leak down test if can borrrow equipment. Check the valve adj, too see if there is a problem with valves. They normally don't go out of adjustment that quick. only after manny miles of use.

Comment

noise

The bike is showing 67,000 kms.

Comment

noise

After removing the camcover I was able to determine that the part that holds the cam down secure on the front left side of the engine was loose.
        The reason it was loose is that 2 of the 4 bolts that hold it down are broken.
        Everything else appears to be in fine shape. If I could figure out a way to remove the 2 broken bolts I could be up and running again.
        Any thoughts or suggestions. The one bolt is almost directly under the top frame rail wich will make it difficult to access with a drill or easy-out.
        HELP

Comment

torque spec on cam caps

Would anyone happen to know the torque spec on the cam cap bolts? The bolt has a # 6 on the top of it.
          A good friend is in the process of welding a drill bit onto a rod extension so that we can access the one bolt from on top of the frame rail.

Comment

Cam Shaft Cover Bolt - 4.5-7.0 Ft Lbs
            Cam Bearing Cap Bolt -6.0-8.5 Ft Lbs

Tighten the cam bolts evenly.
            Tighten cam cover bolts gradually and evenly in a criss-cross pattern.

Comment

torque

Thanks Hoyterb;
              I hope to get this problem fixed tommorrow and be back up on the road to enjoy the fall colours.
              Thanks again

Comment

Working...
              X