Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I R/R Swingarm bearings without ruining them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I R/R Swingarm bearings without ruining them?

I'm Building/rebuilding an '84 GS750EF and right now I'm going over the rear suspension....cleaning and lubing and checking the bearings and such.

My question is this, can I press out the swingarm bearing needle races without trashing them? They seem fine but I'd like to get the 20 year old grease out of them, along with the grit I got in there while cleaning the swingarm but I don't want to trash 'em in the process.

I have a 20ton press and a nice aluminum "dowel" that is just a few thou smaller than the bearing bore. And is there a right and wrong side to remove them from? With the press it would be easier to press them towards the centerline but with a bearing puller they could go either way. I tried a little light pressure towards the outside with a screw type puller and didn't get anywhere but I didn't really put too much pressure on.

/\/\ac

I doubt it. The bearings can't go any further in and the edges are quite fragile anyway. I totally mangeled them in my 1982 GS400EZ. Everything was rusty in there and junk anyway so no loss.

Steve

Comment

Hrm. Well thanks for the heads up. I'm new to motorcycles and don't have much experience with needle bearings.... it looked iffy but possible to take them out but I guess I'll just spend some time cleaning them in place in the parts washer instead.

Thanks!
      /\/\ac

Comment

It will distroy them when you remove them. WHy not replace them NOW
        during the rebuild

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
          Why not replace them NOW
          during the rebuild

M-O-N-E-Y

Can't spend cash on it right now if I don't HAVE to. I HAVE to get this bike rolling by the end of July so what needs to be replaced, or would not be feasable to replace later, gets replaced now....and what can wait waits.

I'm only taking the rear suspension apart to do an inspection/clean/lube. I checked the swingarm for play and feel as best I could before I took it out and it felt fine, but I wanted to get the caked on crud off while I have the time.
          The bearings it has now look and feel great, except for the grit I got in them while cleaning with too much elbow and not enough care. I spent some time flushing them in the parts cleaner bath and I think I got all the grit out.... without grease I can't feel any roughness at all anymore so I'm going to lube 'em up and go.

Worse comes to worse it's not that big of a deal to pull the swingarm again.

/\/\ac

Comment

Removing swinger bearings

Guys, I know this sounds silly, I have been a motor mechanic for 22 years and could not believe this when I saw it done. The Guy (a South African chap) had the swingarm off a GSX1100, stood the swingarm vertical with a block of wood under the straight part of the arm, rolled up a ball of ordinary rag (a piece about 6" square) pushed it into the top of the swingarm bearing hole and lightly pushed it down into the bottom bearing and then punched the centre of the rag with a long piece of 1/2" rod!!! I could not believe what I was seeing. The bearing came out intact and none of the bearings were broken. Apparently the rag "parachutes" out and takes the bearing with it.
            This will not work if the bearing is rusted or corroded in place though.
            Please do not try this unless you are prepared to have to replace the bearings with new ones, but I did see it done and it is worth remembering if you have a nice clean swingarm and need the bearings out to anodise the arm etc. Good luck.

Comment

Huh, Thanks Katanakid... thats pretty interesting. I'll give it a try when I strip down the parts bike in a few weeks.

/\/\ac

Comment

Hi,
                i completely stripped my gsx750 a few years back and the short answer is yes. if you have a fly press then just make sure you have the right size adapter (as near the right diameter as you can), make sure its all supported nice and square, grease or wd40 the blind side of the bores and go nice and gently. The press i used had a pressure gauge on it so i just used that as a guide - if it bound up slightly you could quickly see/ feel and start again with a gentle tap or two to square it up.
                Otherwise, maybe you could just buy a few cans of brake cleaner and really wash them out thoroughly and re-pack them in situ? or a jet wash (yes really) works well - just thoroughly coat with wd 40 and grease straight after....

Comment

You will probably trash them. Why not just clean them in place? Get a cup of kerosene and an old toothbrush and have at it. Rinse thoroughly with brake cleaner and compressed air. I use belray salt waterproof grease for better water protection.

Comment

Working...
                  X