Plug wires on GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plug wires on GS850

It appears that the plug wires for my GS850L are fused directly into the coil with no way to remove/replace them. It's as if you need to replace the coil to replace the wires. Does anyone know if that's really the case? If not, how do you replace them?

Thanks,
    Ace.

I believe you can pick the epoxy resin from around the cable entries to remove them. Or you can do what I did: cut them off about 1 inch from the coils, cut the heads off some 30mm panel pins and sharpen both ends, stick them into the cut ht lead leaving 15mm protruding, push the new ht leads onto the sharpened end until both leads butt together and cover with three layers of heat shrink sleeving. Simple.

Comment

Seems the problem is not electrical after all, but carbuerator releated. I swapped plug wires for #1 and #4, and #4 still had the problem. Seems #4 cylinder is running rich at idle intermittantly. When it's happening, the idle is about 300 RPM below normal and the plug is sooty black. I have new plugs. It may suddenly go away when I restart the bike, but return just as suddenly. Any ideas?

Thanks,
      Ace.

Comment

Clog in the carb?
        Air jet clogged?
        :?

Comment

That's where I went next after concluding it couldn't be electrical. I took out the #4 pilot jet , cleaned it and sprayed the passages with carb cleaner. It has run OK since, but not yet long enough to conclude that the problem is solved.

Thanks,
          Ace.

Comment

Working...
          X