Headlight / wiring clarification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight / wiring clarification

(Sry folks, I had this in 'Tips and Tricks' instead of over here where it belongs...)

Hi all-

My tale of woe summerized: I bought an '80 GS550L and it had a big ol' WindJammer IV on it, with the headlight pointing nearly straight down. The adjuster doo-dad for the headlight is broke, so I took the WJ off.

If you would have a peek at the headlight shots, it will make this a lot shorter: https://www.100megsfree2.com/revdcla...bikeshots.html

Judging by the schematics I saw at bikebandit.com, I have a sealed beam configuration; great. There are 4 or 6 wires that are going to go to the turn signal; super. With all the info available on the site (I did my search first! ), I think I can figure out which wire goes where plus it *looks like* all the original connectors were used. Here are my questions:

* Do all those wires need to come out of the headlight 'bucket'? Seems they would, but this is all new to me.
    * Does the retaining ring on the WJ fit the original headlight mounting? And how do I get that darn ring off?

My main concern is *NOT* OEM. Not right now, any way; my main concern is getting her 'eye' on and operational ASAP (aftermarket signals look pretty straightforward).

ANY assistance with that wiring rat's nest would be greatly appreciated!

Shiny side up, y'all-
    revdc5

P.S Love the bike! Can't wait to motor around more!

I just installed a Vetter fairing (Windjammer) on my 1100GLZ. My wiring was as follows:

Rt turn Lt Blue
    Common turn Lt Green
    Lft turn Purple
    Common - grnd Black
    Headlight Yellow
    Headlight White
    NC Red
    NC Brown
    NC Orange

ALL of the wiring stays inside the bucket.
    There was a clip on the bottom of the retaining ring on for the headlight (WJ). Press the clip in and turn the retaining ring ( counterclockwise I think ) and it should come right off. I don't think that the WJ ring will fit the GS headlight mounting.

Comment

Cool! Thanks for the breakdown; I'm sure I can apply that when I put the headlights and turn signals on. One more question: Since I am taking the WJ *off*, I don't think the wires stay in the headlight bucket, right? Doesn't seem like there would be room for all the wires and the lamp too...

Going to a sacred cycle resting place tmrw to look for parts...

Comment

Yes. All the wires (except the bundle that hooked to the WJ) go inside the basket with the lamp. The wires go around the inside perimeter and the bulb fits in the middle of the wire 'birds-nest'.

Comment

Very cool! Thanks bunches. I'll be sure to post to let y'all know how it goes...

Comment

She Can See!

I won't bore you with all the details, but I'll give ya the laundry list. I had to:

*Replace the entire headlight assembly with an aftermarket HL,
            *Hit the cycle graveyard for a turn signal,
            *Buy an aftermarket signal (could only find one at the above),
            *Thread out all the wires out of the old HL,
            *Hit a hardware store for mounting bolts and washers, cuz the new HL didn't come with any...

Did all the repairs and whatnot without a manual! You folks are AWESOME! I can't begin to thank all of you for helping out and especially *archiving posts*!

ThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyou!! !!!

*Special thanks to Mitch for just putting a WJ on, and telling me the wire colors!*

Aight, 'nuff outta me. I got some riding to do! Shiny side up, y'all-

Comment

To answer all your questions go to <www.craigvetter.com> He has all to information on wiring there

Comment

Working...
              X