Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a spare stator for a GS1100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it was bound to happen sooner or later and it did, the charging system on the beast picked last week to crap on me. But, as is everything with me it is a story. My bike died on the way to work last Wednesday morning, dead battery. So I got it home, put the battery on the charger and the charger says the battery is trashed, I buy a new battery put it in the bike and ride like mad. Saturday coming home from work, it dies again, dead battery. Put the charger on the battery the charger says it?s a bad battery. Well the chances of that are slim to none. So I take the battery to the shop and he says the battery is good. The charger is shot, new charger today, and the logical explanation is the charging system in the bike. So I take the stator wires off the R/R to do a no load test on the stator, the batteries in the multimeter are nearly dead, I?ll talk to the wife about that later, she used it last and didn?t turn in off (she?s an electrical engineer, figures an engineer would forget that). I try it anyway and I get 8vac, I?m suppose to get 74-80vac. New batteries in the multimeter today. Tomorrow is charging system trouble shooting day. But I?m sure that the stator is dead and I think that the reason is bad connections to the R/R. When I tugged on the wires, they came out of the connectors so there wasn?t a good connection.
    Anyone feel sorry for me??didn?t think so. LOL

Make sure the rest of the system is functioning correctly before pulling the cover off to replace the stator. Most stators on these GS's fail due to a bad RR causing them to overheat. Check the RR with a continuity tester or diode tester and make sure the harness and connectors are good. Run an extra ground wire from the RR ground to the battery neg. Check the Stator papers on this site for tests but don't think the RR test is gospel. My factory service manual just has continuity checks in it and not voltage tests. My new Electrex RR didn't pass the Stator Papers RR tests and the test were written by the guy that runs Electrex! If it's the older 83-84 Katana it uses the same stator that all old GS'es use. I found one on eBay for $50. Ended up buying the Electrex stator for $140 anyway.

Comment

Lots of sympathy

Same thing happened to me a month ago on my '82 GS750; pretty much the same resistance and voltage test results, too! Sorry about not having a spare--but I had good luck with Bike Bandits (needed a replacement gasket) and actually Electrex for the stator. I've read much bad about Electrex on the forum, and in a few weeks or months I may too; but at least for now we're up, running, and charging!

Good luck!

Comment

Re: Lots of sympathy

I have bought electrex stators for three different bikes. None of them gave me any problems. They were all bought before electrex merged with new management. Since that point, I've taken a wait and see approach. From various posts, it appears there may be a lack of quality control now.
        But then, not knowing how the "faulty" stators were installed, its impossible to say.

Earl

Originally posted by homepete
        Same thing happened to me a month ago on my '82 GS750; pretty much the same resistance and voltage test results, too! Sorry about not having a spare--but I had good luck with Bike Bandits (needed a replacement gasket) and actually Electrex for the stator. I've read much bad about Electrex on the forum, and in a few weeks or months I may too; but at least for now we're up, running, and charging!

Good luck!
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I ordered a Electrex stator and R/R along with some supplies to redo my fork seals from Bikebandit.com. Know I sit and wait. BTW Bikebandit is giving a discount to AMA members. That saved me a couple of $$$.

Comment

Well I got all the parts from Bike Bandit, it only took 17 days geez, that's another story. I got stator in, good output. New R/R in wired it up properly and I'm getting 14.36V at the battery. Now its going to rain for 4 days. Go figure.
            Interesting to note that the new R/R is completly different then the one that was put on the bike back in 1999 and I suspect that is is the wrong one and could have been causing the troubles I've been having with my fuse box.

Comment

I'm currently in that same electrical mire, and have a deadline to fix it by next weekend.....

fingers crossed!!

Comment

Originally posted by Poot
                I'm currently in that same electrical mire, and have a deadline to fix it by next weekend.....

fingers crossed!!
                I hope you didn't order the parts from Bike Bandit.
                It took me about an hour and a half to install the parts and another 20 minutes to solder and heatshrink the connections and do final test. I already had the old stator and R/R removed and everything was waiting for the parts, so it was a quick install. I could have done it faster if I was on the clock but I had to take time out to drink the beer my neighbor was forcing me to drink, twisted my arm and everything.
                This is the 5th time I've had that cover off in 15 months so I've gotten pretty good at it. The b1tch was the the cover over the front sprocket I had to take that off to route the wire. It is required to take of the foot peg and I be darned if I could find my 17mm socket. Then I had to clean 25 years of gunk and road goo under that cover, but I had 17 days to do it thanks to Bikebandit. I also had time to shine the covers. Now it's on to the leaking front fork tubes. WILL THE FUN NEVER END!

Comment

Sorry I can't help with a stator. My 83 GS750ES stator and R/R tokk the dive about a month ago. I rewound the stator for about $50 and twenty hours of labor. The R/R was from a CM400 on E-bay. Hpoefully it'll get here soon. The weather man says the rain in Jax may slow down soon and I'm ready to ride.

Comment

Originally posted by fgh
                    Sorry I can't help with a stator. My 83 GS750ES stator and R/R tokk the dive about a month ago. I rewound the stator for about $50 and twenty hours of labor. The R/R was from a CM400 on E-bay. Hpoefully it'll get here soon. The weather man says the rain in Jax may slow down soon and I'm ready to ride.
                    Man that was an expensive stator. $50 for materials and the labor cost is well I charge at least $50/per hour. Sorry the MBA was talking. Good luck

Comment

Yeah tought it would be easier. There were 18 posts with 34 wraps on each one. The wire is 18 gauge and you need to keep it coiled straight and tight. Doing it by hand with a pair of channel locks with hose on the jaws to protect the insulation takes forever. The wire was $20, the epoxy was about $22 and new leads were about $5.

I'm kinda wondering if anyone knows a technique that would allow the winding to go faster. If I don't learn another one it'll be Electrex next time for sure.

Comment

Working...
                      X