Awww man! Stupid is as stupid does!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awww man! Stupid is as stupid does!

Okay, it pains me to admit this in a public forum... but here goes...
    (Please limit laughing to a minimum!

I lifted the seat, and for some reason placed the keys in the plastic tray underneath. Long story short, the seat closed with keys underneath!

Any easy way of getting in there to get them out?

I think I may be a public danger at this point!

I'm going to assume that you don't have a spare?

It may be possible to Knock them out from underneath?

Oh man, good luck. Not sure.

Comment

Use the spare key you keep in your wallet or hanging on the refrigerator. What's that you say, you don't have a spare key? Weeeellll, how about turning the bike upside down and shaking real hard? Sorry, I guess I'd be asking for a nice hawaiian punch if I was there in person, but I've been there and done that and now have spare keys for everything. I even keep a spare house and truck key in my wallet. It's saved my butt more than once 'cause every now then I have to be an idiot and lock my keys somewhere where I can't get to them.

Comment

On some bikes, you can remove the tailight/tailcone assembly and get access to the tray under the seat.

Earl
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I had to pick my GS's locks once. Piece of cake with a very small flathead screwdriver.

Comment

ok, on a 80 GS1000G you can pull the circlips and wiggle out the hinge pins on the left side of the seat.
            the side cover will have to come off and there is not alot of room but the pins will come out and give you just enough room to get your hand in there to get the keys.

(I was checking out a seat in the bone yard and the bike did not have a key)

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy

(I was checking out a seat in the bone yard and the bike did not have a key)

Comment

I'd have to say the hinge pins might be the best way to go. It really depends how much you want to spend. I had a locksmith make me a key for an 80 650. He just looked at the VIN number went to his van (in my driveway) came back 3 min later with a working key. It cost me $30.

Personally, depending on which bike it was on (my nicest one or my old-beater), I might see if I could access the side of the plastic compartment and punch a hole in it with a utility knife and pull your keys out. Just a thought.

Comment

On my bike (78 GS1000C)you can remove the screws that hold the seat lock in with the seat closed. It's tricky but I did it. And no not because I locked my keys in there, it was because the seat lock assembly itself broke and wouldn't open

This seat lock I have on these years were prone to that. The one on my current 781k is touch and go at times. Weak tumblers or something?

Anyway, try to remove the lock. Might work. The hinge pins are a good idea too but you wouldn't be able to get at those as easy as the lock screws on my bike.

Comment

Just to let everybody know how this worked out... the hinge pins were accessble with a needle nose pliers. Quick slip, slide hand in, remove with keys, presto! A rabbit!

Thanks to all for their advice. I swear, were it not for these boards, I shudder to think of the condition my bike would currently be in. I bought a Suzuki book... not near as much help.

Comment

No spare key? No problem. Well almost. I found this out the hard way. I managed to leave my keys no where near me or the bike so I called a locksmith, they told me that if I took the helmet lock off and brought it to them they'd be able to get the key number. Lo and behold a couple of twists with a 10mil and there was the key number called it in, went down and got my key (take helmet lock with you to check new key).
                      That was my 82 750T I have not checked the 1100 yet, and that's because I know where my...wait a minute...Honey have you seen my...

Comment

On the 83, if you can get the side cover off, you can pull the release for the seat behind the key cylinder.
                        TTTHHHEEENNN, first thing take the key to the key shop and cut an extra.

Comment

On the 1100 it's a couple of -what you Americans say- hex bolts but in reality they are Allen Bolts/Screws. the number is stamped on the plate on the back of the helmet lock.

Comment

Working...
                          X