CDI Swap 850 to 450?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CDI Swap 850 to 450?

Anyone know if the CDI Unit off an 82 GS850L will work on a GS450? I had a friend call me up and said that someone had cut both plugs off the wiring and they also for some reason cut the wires from the CDI right up next to the box itself. I have a 82 GS850 here and was curious if the CDI off it would work for him? I think he has an 81 GS450. He said his has 7 wires and so does this one but have not been able to get together to see if same color code?

Any help is great
    Chris

i doubt it, due to the fact that the GS850 has 4 cylinders and the GS450 only has 2

Comment

First of all, it's not really a CDI unit but an ignitor (electronic ignition) at least on the GS450s. It might work if the GS850 has only two coils and works on the "wasted spark" system. I would compare part nos. between the two ignitors before doing anything else.

Comment

It would probably work if you could figure out the wiring
        The 450 fires one coil for each cyl & the 850 fires one coil with two plugs for two cyl

Comment

Thanks guys! I think I will just tell him probably not then. I would fell guilty if I let him put it on his bike and messed it all up...

I don't suppose anyone has an ignitor for a GS450 do they?

We have been looking for awhile and cannot seem to find a used one for a decent price. Ebay doesn't even have anything.

Chris

Comment

When I bought my GS450 it had an ignighter from a junkyard with GS550 marked on it. That might be an option.
            1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
            The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Get the two part numbers and cross reference them on Ronayers.com Keep putting them in to see if the numbers eventually become the same. If that doesn't work it could be that the boxes are totally different or just have different timing curves. A twin has two single coils and an inline 4 has two double coils.

Steve

Comment

Part should be found on these bikes:

1980 GS250T SIGNAL GENERATOR
                1980 GS450 ET,ST,EX,SX,EZ SIGNAL GENERATOR
                1980 GS450L SIGNAL GENERATOR
                1980 GS550,E SIGNAL GENERATOR
                1980 GS550L SIGNAL GENERATOR
                1981 GS250T SIGNAL GENERATOR
                1981 GS450 ET,ST,EX,SX,EZ SIGNAL GENERATOR
                1981 GS450L SIGNAL GENERATOR
                1982 GS450 ET,ST,EX,SX,EZ SIGNAL GENERATOR