Need to repair crack on fairing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to repair crack on fairing

I have a Windjammer 4 fairing on my 78GS.
    It is ABS plastic and it developed a crack starting from the right side storage cover hole and is about 3" long.

I was thinking of some kind of good glue but when the bike is ridden the crack opens and closes from the vibration. I also thought of drilling above and below the crack and trying some kind of holding bar.

What is the best way to repair and stabilize ABS plastic?

Thanks, Rich

do a search on the forums becasue there is somewhere a very good thread about it, or try http://www.yft.org/tex_vfr/tech/plastic.htm

This much I do know drilling a small hole at the end of the crack will keep the crack from growing, what you do to repair it from there is up to your skill and abilities on my side plastics I have just left them as they are with the small holes so they won't grow, not pretty but eh.

Comment

Have you heard of a product called "Goop"? Goop is a silicone glue/sealant/filler. They make various formulas for varying materials (or so they say I'm no chemist, it might just be marketing/packaging ). Plumber's Goop is (supposedly) made for gluing plastic pipe and what not together. I used this to repair my windshield on my 550L and the fairing,after a ridiculous low speed dump, on my Concours. This is wonderful stuff because it always remains flexible, to a degree, so it won't crack because of vibration. Both windshield and fairing have given me no trouble after a year in service.

You want to glue the pieces together and build up a mound of the stuff on the 'back' of the fairing along either side of the crack. Don't rush the repair give it 48 hours to cure per side. And at least that long before returning the part to service. Repairing a windshield where you can't hide the repair, do front and back.

If you can't find Plumber's Goop (try Ace Hardware) I wouldn't hestitate to try Sportsman's Goop or Shoe Goop both available at Wally Woild, maybe Plumber's Goop is too? I got mine at the Ace. ( Hardware not Cafe :roll: :roll: )

One note. There are three key things to make sure you do to assure a successful repair:

1. Clean Surfaces
      2. Clean Surfaces
      3. Clean Surfaces

Comment

Good points, Jim!

My strategy of choice is to first drill the ends of the crack (as Jim suggested), and then I like to drill a series of holes above and below the entire crack-line, leaving an eighth to a quarter inch of space between the holes and the crack. This provides a series of anchor points to hold the filler solidly to the original pieces.

Once I've done that I'll sand or grind the entire area down slightly, so that the repair area is slightly "cupped" or "channeled." Whatever filler material I use can then be sanded flush with the surrounding area without removing too much filler from the surface. The choice of filler depends on the material, but I'm a big fan of epoxy. Just make sure the epoxy is rated for ABS plastic in this case.

What you wind up with is generally a VERY strong repair that should never cause you problems again. Like Jim said, clean clean clean the repair surfaces for best results.

Good Luck!
        Steve 8)

*edited to fix a typo

Comment

The easiest way I know of to repair is to take some scrap ABS and make shavings. Drilling holes in the scrap with a wood bit/spade bit will make a lot of shavings quickly. Then dissolve the shavings in some MEK solvent until the mixture is a putty consistancy. Wipe the broken area with mek to clean it. If the crack is large and open, fiberglass cloth can be adhered to the backside for reinforcement and a backing using a thin layer of the MEK putty as an adhesive. Once that is set, fill the crack with the putty. Fill the crack to slightly above surface level and beyond the broken edges.
          The putty is "liquid" ABS, so it will bite into the original. Once set, wetsand and then buff out. It will be invisible.

Earl
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I recently repaired my daughter's bumper bar on her car,it was cracked(don't ask )
            So I pulled the crack together,got my soldering iron & melted the crack together with a swirling motion.
            Then useing cable ties as a solder,built up a layer under the crack.
            Pulling as hard as I could I could not break the repair.
            Done this before on side cover's never had a prob.

Comment

Do the drill-stop, then go out and search for Oates ABS glue.

It commonly is found in the plumbing sections, usually in standard yellow, but you want the stronger BLACK one. If the black is not available, ask them to order it for you.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Fairing repair

Thanks everyone for the help.

I will look into the products you recommended and see what I can come up with.

The crack is accessible from the inside of the right storage pocket and the outside where it faces the fuel tank. I am sure I can do a good job of
                making a repair.

The ABS is black so if I could get the black glue that would work best.

Rich

Comment

Working...
                X