Stripped Valve cover bolt hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripped Valve cover bolt hole

I did a bad no-no and over tightened one bolt on my valve cover this spring during valve adjustment. The hole in the cam block is now stripped and a replacement is not possible due to the rarity of the part. I have seen several posts using helicoils to fix such problems. Anyone know the size I would need for that application? I have a 1985 GS 700 E. If tht won't work has anyone tried the locktite brand of thread repair? I also saw a post by Earl about using Jb weld to fill the hole and then wrap teflon tape around the bolt before threading it into the JB weld. Let dry and then tighten a bit. How does this work? Any help would be appreciated....I'm running out of pants without oil splatters on the legs!

I've got the same problem on a 1985 GS550L. I'll give this topic a little bump to see if anyone has any solutions. In my case its a bolt on the cam cover. In order to use a helicoil to fix my particular bolt I'd have to practically remove the engine from the bike to get a drill in there to work on it! So, obviously I'm interested in any success stories using the locktite or JB weld methods.

Comment

I Helicoiled mine, actually a self made Helicoil. The ones for that size are $$$.

I also read the JB Weld trick (after I already did mine). That's the route I would try.

From all that I've read, Valve cover bolts don't need much torque at all. JB Weld is good for (I believe) 500? F. Should work.

Comment

McMaster Carr sells thread repair kits. My 1150 had two stripped out when I got the bike. The size is 7mx1m. I think the kit cost me about $35.00 and comes with about 10 inserts. Mike J

Comment

Originally posted by DMPLATT
          I Helicoiled mine, actually a self made Helicoil. The ones for that size are $$$.

I also read the JB Weld trick (after I already did mine). That's the route I would try.

From all that I've read, Valve cover bolts don't need much torque at all. JB Weld is good for (I believe) 500? F. Should work.
          A self made Helicoil? Did you have to drill out your old threads? Any more details you could give? I have access to a machine shop where I work. I can have just about anything made - provided it's not too time consuming...

Comment

I've used the Loctite Thread repair kit many times with good results. In fact I've used it for the exact repair you're referring on my '83 GS750es. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
            X