Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new fuse box

Hi,

Has anyone found a good source for a replacement fuse box aside from spending $52 at bike bandit? I have a 79' gs850, what I have is ok, but at some point in it's long history the plastic melted some and the connectors are aging and corroded. I am open to other designs etc. is the local auto parts store the best bet?

Luke

Scrap/junk/recycle/bone yards or e-bay.

Note that boxes from different models, or even different years, may look alike, but they are not identical inside, so they may not match with your connectors.

Once you open the back of the box, note carefully where each piece fits.

Take a digital photo or draw something to depict it completely.

You can likely clean up the inner parts, as they are just brass strips, but if the plastic box is badly melted, it is difficult to rebuild it. Another box, even from a different model, may work. Open your new find and check the positions of all connectors, and clean them while you have it open.

Unless it is an exact match you will likely need to do some filing or other modification to accommodate your old parts, but it will do the job for you .
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Ebay is usualy a good place for parts, here a link for a fuse box
      up for auction.

Comment

I may go the ebay route, I was hoping that someone had found a decent replacement that didn't require too much modification that would be new. Everything on ebay would just be another 25 year old fuse box with old wiring etc. I will see what local stores have and see what i think might fit.

Luke

Comment

this is what I have on mine.

the small one.

it is a bussmann series 15600-06, ATC blade type fuse panel.
          it is rated for 30 amps (way above what is needed for our GS's)
          has slots for 6 circuts, you can even use blade type circut breakers instead of fuses.

blade fuses are much more durable than glass fuses, the elements dont fail due to vibration, and the ends dont fail due to terminal resistance heat melting the solder.

I picked up mine at O,Riley auto parts, I think I paid $7.00 for it.
          simple to mount and wire in.

Comment

cool, we have an O'Reilly's here in town. thanks for all the suggestions.

Luke

Comment

wiring question

This is for Focus as he has already done this aparently.

I got the fuse box from O'Reilly's, I like the look of it and mounting should be no problem, however, the old fuse box had one bus for the main fuse and then up to the ignition and back to a bus for the other three fuses. This new one has just one bus. Am I ok just going straight in after the ignition switch and basically getting rid of the main fuse? the only reason I ask is it looks like the reg/rect/ taps in on that main fuse loop, do I just move that to another circuit since I will have extras with the new larger fuse box? Or should I try and modify the new fuse box?

thanks,

Luke

Comment

you will need a single in-line fuse holder that will go in the line that goes from the battery to the ignition switch before the split to the regulator.

the main fuse is important and you need it.
                it serves to protect from a rectifier failure that would short battery power to the stator, no fuse and you get a very bad situation that can result in a fire.

Comment

PS: you can also route the single master fuse out of view and use it as a econo security system, pull the main and thief's cant punch the ignition and ride off with your bike.

Comment

I stayed with the glass fuses, went to Elect supply & got a fuse block $5
                    & rewired it. Mounted it to the battery box with a big glob of silicon

Comment

Yea, I looked around for the glass fuse boxes and they had them, but looked a lot cheaper/flimsy. I figured I couldn't get away with just leaving it out. I will probably either do an inline fuse or run the main through the "accessory" fuse panel that I wasn't using anyway. Thanks for the info.

Luke

Comment

Working...
                      X