Signal Generator Magnets - '81 GS 1000GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signal Generator Magnets - '81 GS 1000GL

I mentioned elsewhere that I recently acquired an '81 GS 1000L that's been sitting ignored in a garage for more than twenty years that was missing the right breaker cover and most of the parts inside (the results of a 14 year old kid messing with it - that 14 yr old is now 32!)

I got the cover, mechanical advance and rotor yesterday, went to assemble the stuff last night, and discovered why the parts were missing.
    They were destroyed. The pickups were dangling by the wire and upon close inspection, the plate had been bent by prying. I removed the pickups to straighten the backing plate, and the magnets behind the pickups were crumbled (although still magnetized).

Suzuki does not sell the magnets, they want to sell the entire plate assembly for something like $150. These magnets can't cost more than ten!

Any idea where to get new magnets?

So what you need is the stock electronic ignition crank sensor assembly?
    I may have one. Dont know for sure. :-) Would have to go looking through my misc parts boxes. :-)

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I see no reason to replace the entire assembly just because that's the only way that Suzuki sells it (for something like $150). I flattened out the bent plate just fine, the pickups are fine.

All I need are two small magnets. I made a trip yesterday to the cycle boneyard about an hour from my house, perhaps it would be easier to just go back there tomorrow morning than to ask anyone to search for something like that. It's just that the time and gas involved seems crazy for such a tiny, inexpensive item, and I am wondering if these things crumble from vibration or age and is it possible that I won't find any that aren't crumbled?

What I was hoping when I posted this was that someone had gone through this previously and had a suggestion as to where to buy two little magnets that would do the trick. There seems to be quite a bit of magnetic field for suck tiny magnets, is there anything special about them?

Yes, mine still have the field, so I considered piecing it back together, but that's doesn't make sense. It seems to me that I should be able to put two new little magnets the right size in there and everything will work like new.

Comment

Ummmm, I meant SUCH tiny magnets!

Comment

I have one from a 81? 750 that should work It has a cutout for oil pressur sendor but that shouldn't matter $15 shipped to you

Looks just like the one on the parts fisch

Comment

Working...
          X