Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey Earl , New problem you may be able to help with.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Earl , New problem you may be able to help with.

Ok Earl, The ignitor is firing off both coils now (sort of) I have to spray starting fluid into the engine to get it to fire off. I have to give it at least half throttle to get it to fire and when it does it runs real crappy for 6 or 7 seconds and then dies on me. If I let off of the throttle any when it fires off it dies automatically. Any ideas what this could be. I took the carbs off and cleaned them out and they looked alright. Thanks for all of your help with this bike. Anybody else having this same problem?

It doesn't sound like you have the airbox installed??? IT MUST be installed for the bike to run I would check & make sure the petcock is working . Is their gas in the carbs??? Does the choke work???

Comment

which cylinders are going to each coil?

Comment

The airbox is installed and air filter is in place. The choke does work and the coils are wired 1/4 2/3. The coil for 2/3 seems to be firing intermittently from what I can see. when I use a multimeter on negative side of the coil on 1/4 it seems to go to about the same voltage every time it cranks but when I do the 2/3 coil the meter jumps all over the place instead of being steady. Any other ideas?

Comment

As Lynn has already asked, do you have good gas flow into the carbs and does the choke work?

That seems to me to be a very good place to start.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Yes it is getting fuel to the carbs and the choke does work. I can get it to run if I keep spraying starting fluid into it . But any time I go to give it throttle while spraying it the bike starts knocking (hope somethings not broke) it does not knock while i'm spraying it and it idleing. Anybody out there that can help me?

Comment

You may have a spark/coil problem in there, but the engine does fire up and run, but it runs only on spray.

The spray may work to get the bike started, and even running, but, as soon as you open the throttle more, you allow in more air, and thus lean the mixture, and that leads to knocking.

As to the cause of your problems, my take is, since it runs on spray, and only on spray, it quite obviously needs another source of fuel and is not getting it, so you have a fuel flow and/or carb problem.

This is a cold-engine problem right now, so look again at the choke, then get into the rest.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
              X