Chain Adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain Adjustment

My chain seemed like it had a lot of slack in it so I figured I would tighten it up a bit. The problem is that when the bike is in nuetralon the center stand and I spin the rear wheel, the chain is tight in in one sopt of the revelution and very loose the rest of the time. Is it just time for me to get a new chain/sprocket set?

I've been told that this is normal. I've also been told to adjust the slack in it's tightest position.

P.S. I put on a brand new chain a month ago and it almost Instantly had a tight spot.

Don't fret it unless you start really wearing things out fast.

8)

Comment

Re: Chain Adjustment

Originally posted by JROBERTS
      My chain seemed like it had a lot of slack in it so I figured I would tighten it up a bit. The problem is that when the bike is in nuetralon the center stand and I spin the rear wheel, the chain is tight in in one sopt of the revelution and very loose the rest of the time. Is it just time for me to get a new chain/sprocket set?
      I would say you are due a chain and sprocket chain change, A toasted chain could cause the problem you have, which in turn puts undue wear on the sprockets, so when you put a new chain on the now questionable sprockets, shortened chain life OR same problem, Sprockets can cause this also and once again shortened chain life, think of a chain and sprocket as a matched set, I speak from experience, it is cheaper and less frustrating in the long run to replace both at the same time, (and after match set replacement religiously lube and keep it adjusted for long life)The chain sprocket combo have a great effect on the ridability of a bike,i.e. driveline slack and power to rear wheel ect ect. and with that chain going tight loose all the time I get visions of broken chain pokeing a hole in the case.A long answer, but on a chain drive bike especially larger bikes, I place chains sprockets ect on par with a good set of tires for safety and GS enjoyment.

Comment

What he is saying in simple terms is always always replace chain and sprockets as a unit. Got it ?

Comment

Working...
        X