Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recent crash - but now the bike won't idle...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recent crash - but now the bike won't idle...

I've been lurking here for awhile...I love the site. Everyone tends to be pretty helpful!

Anyway, I recently (two months ago) crashed my '82 GS1100 by lowsiding on the left due to some sand (that simplifies the accident a bit, but describes the potential damage). I've finished repairing everything, but I have a problem now: I can't get the bike to idle.

A couple weeks ago, before I reinstalled the new headlight, I started the bike and it would idle just fine. Stayed on for about 15 minutes before I turned it off again. I just now reattached all the wiring and installed the new headlight, and now the bike will not stay on. The engine just dies.

It tends to be worse when the engine heats up - the revs fall off faster and it dies just that much quicker. I took it around the block, and it is virtually unrideable because of this problem (but I miss it so much!).

Potential sources I've thought about:
    (1) wiring is somehow messed up, causing the ignition system to lose power (unlikely)
    (2) the new shorter handlebars have released some natural tension on the throttle cable, so now it is "zeroed" at fully closed condition
    (3) the stator is bad
    (4) something to do with the choke cable

I don't really know what to do to fix this right now. I'd like to ride it tomorrow if I can, because this can't be too bad since it was working well just last week.

What do you guys think? Am I barking up the right tree? Am I way off base? Since it dies faster when hot, what does that mean? I would really appreciate some feedback...

Hmmmmm

I've been reading some more old posts, and it sounds like my ignition might be bad. If others think this is the issue, then I'll start to pursue it. Sounds like I should be checking the signal generator and the ignitor for damage/performance, and I should maybe think about replacing my coils.

I just have a hard time believing that it worked fine last weekend, and four days later it doesn't any more. But I suppose that's the way things break...

Anyhow, if you all have any more suggestions, I would like to hear them.

msf

Comment

Right. Lots of people have this problem, and the Stator Papers section has a fault finding chart. I'm going to use that. Let's see what happens. Time for bed tonight, though...won't be riding tomorrow. :-(

msf

Comment

Because you changed the handle bars/headlight it is possible that it's a wireing problem.
        But I,m more inclined to believe that when you droped it you could have stired up some dirt from the bottom of your carb.s maybe blocking jet,s?
        The choke/throttle cable's,as long as ther's a little bit of slack your ok.
        I don,t think your problem' there!
        Check to see your getting proper fuel flow from the tap,and ther's no vacumn leak.
        Seem's like a fuel prob to me

Comment

Three strong possibilities:

1) the dirt stirred up in the carbs like GSPaul said

2) excess fuel semi-fouled a plug

3) excess fuel got into the oil and is vaporizing back into your airbox, affecting the mixture and carrying oil with it.

Change the oil and plugs, see if that helps

Comment

Working...
          X