850G starter rotation question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

850G starter rotation question

I have recently purchased a 1983 850G shaft drive bike that is very clean, but apparently has the wrong starter in it. The starter turns the wrong direction to engage the starter clutch. Do the shaft drive bikes use a different rotation starter? If so will any other ones work IE...off of an 1100G shaft drive? thanks for the help in advance...this is a great site

You can get an idea of which bikes use the same starters here:

Of course, you can also order a rebuilt starter. Or haunt eBay.

Here's the rebuild kits and more specs:
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Would'nt reversing the wireing,reverse the rotation.
      Just a thought!

Comment

Problem Solved

we have decided that someone stuck the wrong starter gus into this case or that it is off of an entirely different bike. The used starter showed up off of a GS1000 and it works great. Thanks for the help on the interchange chart. Can't wait to start riding the bike...it has been about 8 years since I have had an old GS...sure have missed them.

Comment

.. old post revival.

I just re-brushed my starter,

the starter now spins, however the starter gear behind the flywheel rotates clockwise. if i turn it the other way (anti clockwise) it appears to lock onto the flywheel. the flywheel also appears to have a direction arrow indicating an anti clockwise direction to be the correct rotation of crank.

is it possible I messed something up to make my starter spin the wrong way?

remembering I only rebrushed it not replaced it.

Cheers

Ed

Comment

Working...
          X