Dumb question: tach/speedo cable lube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb question: tach/speedo cable lube?

I have a HUGE assortment of every lubricating substance known to man. Everything from light machine tool oil to Honda's 60% Moly grease for splines.

What's best to use in my tach and speedo cables? When my tach starts to get bouncy, a wee bit of engine oil (several drops added to the speedo end) seems to calm it down for a month or two. This happens even with a brand-new tach cable.

I've tried Cable Life cable lube, and while it's great on my clutch cable, it didn't seem to do the trick for long at all with the tach cable.

I'm thinking a light coating of the 60% moly Wonder Grease might be best, but I'd like to hear any other suggestions and/or discussion.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

My understanding is that powdered graphite (as used in lock tumblers) works well.

SV

Comment

Originally posted by sv650
      My understanding is that powdered graphite (as used in lock tumblers) works well.

SV

This may work on a dry cable but you would not want to mix
      graphite with grease/oil....IMO

Comment

i use lithium bearing grease for bicycle bearings. Waterproof, good traction and handles 0-400 F
        It is sold in bike shops/
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

The tach cable should get it lubrication from the engine itself, mine does. Graphite grease for the speedo.

Comment

Marvel Mystery Oil.

8O

Seriously! Try it! Cleans the crud out and lubes it too,

Comment

Working...
            X