Quick newbie question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick newbie question

So I got everything apart and the head in to get heli-coiled. Was putting it back together last night, following manual for timing etc. Had the cams in place, idler and tensioner all there. Went to turn crank shaft to test cam chain tensioner and could only get it to turn 180 degrees. No more. Any thoughts? I'm guessing I didn't get all the slack out of the cam chain and will have to pull them off again, but before I do I just wanted to hear your thoughts.

Cheers!
    G

Just a guess- Are you sure about your cam timing? Almost sounds like a piston/valve collision. Don't force anything till you pinpoint the problem! Are your rocker arms backed off? Check if a piston is on the TDC and look at the cam on the corresponding cyl. if is stopping before TDC and the valve is open this might be the problem. Sorry I can't be more help-

Comment

Thanks! Ok I just came back in from the garage and here's where I stand. It was indeed a collision between the ex valve on #2 and the piston. So I took the cams off, realigned everything and tried again. Same thing. Could it be that my timing mark is not in the right place? I have the orig service manual and my timing "plate/marks" aren't identical...manual shows plate behind another and therefore line marks up with hole, on mine the plate with the marks is above the plate with the hole.

I just got this bike a month ago and never checked this before taking it apart so I don't know if it is even accurate. How do I check to see if it is? (Note the bike ran fine before the #3 plug popped and I had to start all this)

Cheers!
      G

Comment

Use a peice long piece of something and stick it in the sparkplug hole. turn the engine over, when your stick reaches the highest point that is TDC. From there you should be able to check your timing
        Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
        2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

Thanks!

Got it all fixed up and finally 2 weeks after my spark plug popped out on #3 I was able to fire her back up. At first glance/listen all seems to be running smoothly. Going to wait till the morning before taking it around the block though.

Thanks to all who replied to this and my earlier post. Fantastic bunch of people on this site!

Comment

Working...
          X