Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holy GS Troubles Batman...look at all the questions!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy GS Troubles Batman...look at all the questions!!!

I just have to chuckle a bit when I scroll down all the questions and "newbie querries".
    I just hope that you guys who are anwering these questions know what a value you are to us and it is my wish that I become experienced enough to help out on this board as well.
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Now...for my troubles...
    1981 GS550L
    My Book says that it covers all bikes from 1976 on....I have a CDI ingnition. The book says nothing about how to set timing with CDI. I was looking at the pictures of points and how to gap them and then looking at my bike...and wondering...WTH is going on.

So...after putting cams back in, getting the right valve shims, setting the cams and the "F" mark to the right spot and counting the right number between the cam sprockets...I tried to start it.
    Yep...it took off...and sounded sick. Only runs a little bit with the choke all the way out. It will not rev to save itself. I tried to coax it along but no go.
    Oh...LOL and the number two exhaust is cold. Getting spark and gas is in the carb...<sigh>. It ran in March when we had a warm spell here in Wisconsin. I took the old exhaust off and opened up a can of worms...

Any help would be appreciated.

Respectfully.....JJ

first, you don't have CDI, you have electronic ignition, and there is no timing adjustment as there is no real need for adjustment with the electronic ignition, as it cant change like it can with points.

Comment

Not CDI

The "know it all" at the local bike shop told me it was a CDI...Thanks for setting me straight.
      So far this is good news. No timing to adjust.
      So the problems are with the carb or with the way I dropped the cams in? Oh brother.

Comment

I could be wrong, but don't you set your cam's to the T mark,not the F (ignition)
        Better have another look at your manual!

Comment

The timing is usually set & forget it. I can be changed by rotating the
          pick up coil mounting plate--unless someone has been f%$# with it it should be ok
          T is TDC

Comment

What everyone else said. The ignition runs off of the crankshaft, so fooling with the cams won't change the timing. "T" is for top dead center.

Comment

Working...
            X