vacuum leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vacuum leak?

I have a 1981 gs 450l that i had a mechanic clean and sync the carbs...cycle ran great for about 200 miles....then all of a sudden it started cutting out on the highway...i tinkered with the clasps on the intake boots and it seemed to have worked...but it was still cutting out now and then...is this the location for the most likely vacuum leak(in the intake boots)? I purchased some intake boots from a salvage dealer so the ones on now are not new...i have a typical clasp that a guy would get from a gas station(silver ones that are used on radiators etc...) could this be a problem since its wider than the clasps that were originally on?

Did you replace the O ring's on the intake boot's?

Comment

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

With the engine running, spray a little carb cleaner around the suspected leak areas, where the boots attach to the carbs and the head. If there's a leak, the engine will speed up.

You should use the correct width clamps.

Comment

vacuum leak

thanks for the info...the web links were very helpful.....i'll try fixing them...

Comment

Hey, ya think those part numbers for the orings for your gs850 would be the same for a 79 gs750? Im thinking they are since its pretty much the same motor. I definitley need to take care of this on my bike... my idle is all over the place sometimes.

Comment

Working...
            X