GS1000G Gas Leaking From Carb????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000G Gas Leaking From Carb????

There is a gas leak coming from my carb. It seems to be coming out of the second one from the clutch side of the bike. I was having a fuel leak coming the airbox again on the clutch side. The bike was running poorly at idle and would kick off. So the other day I removed the airbox cover to take a looksee, started her and she seemed to run fine at idle. What I noticed was the air filter was saturated with gas. After runner for a while she wouldn't leak. The this morning I checked her and there was a small puddle of gas. What is this? Could it be from having the choke slightly open over night? Is my #2 float stuck open? Is it the needle jet is worn?

Sounds like a bad petcock. If the vacuum diaphragm has a hole, gas will get through and get slurped into the vacuum fitting on the #2 carb. The hole isn't that big yet, or it would have fouled the #2 plug. However, it will get worse...

What's your #2 plug look like? Black and sooty?
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

No ,nothing to do with the choke,I presume you have a vacumn operated fuel tap,fuel must still be getting through,so check that.
      And your needle & seat for that carby may be worn or dirty.

Comment

A Petcock can..

A petcack can really do that? I thought of it as simply a valve.. you know an on off sort of thing. Forgive me for my ignorance...so that means I need to empty my tank and get a petcock rebuild kit?

Ill check my plugs tonight after work and let you know what they look like.

Thank you!!!

Comment

Second carb from the clutch side is #3. Your petcock runs off #2, second from the left.

The leak is caused by a stuck float or valve, or loose valve seat. You might might be able to fix it by tapping on the carb, but most likely will have to remove the carbs and take them apart. You should also clean and reoil the air filter.

Comment

You probably have two problems The petcock is not shutting off completely & the float needles are leaking. SO you need to check the pet6cock operation & clean the carbs. WHen you clean the carbs make sure to replace the O ring on the float seat

Comment

I had exactly the same problem on my 1000G, I even bought new floats and petcock and it still leaked.......
              I completely resovled the problem by sticking an inline fuel switch between the tank and carbs,
              I have done over 1500 miles since I put the inline fuel cut off switch in, it runs perfect, All I do is when the bike is not running/riding I turn the tap off.

Comment

Working...
              X