Plug wires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plug wires?

Ok I was tinkering with my bike this afternoon and I was looking over the plug wires. When I pulled off #4 the Rubber ALMOST cracked in half. Thus I am now aware that the wires should be replaced. My Haynes book won't be in till Wednesday thus I ask the question being a newbie. Plug wires on a car are $30-$40 for a performance set. I go to Bikebandit and from what I'm seeing I have to purchase a "COIL ASSY, IGNI" which is almost $80. Is this right? Should I replace anything else in addition, besides the plugs, if I do? She runs fine for now but am looking to replace them when the money becomes available.

They can be replaced, it's not plug & play. What you should do is look on ebay for a set of coils from a late model GSX / bandit They usually go for $20-$25

Comment

Devil' advocate

Ok so I checked them out but part #'s don't match. I don't question that these are right I'm just trying to figure out how you guys find comparable parts to subsitute. :roll:

THANKS for the help Lynn

Comment

It's all in the know how Those will bolt up in the original hole & work fine + they are 15 years newer Just swap the plug ends

Comment

I would trust Lynn. He knows bikes. The only other alternative I have is to replace with Dyna Coils which allow any 7mm or 8mm plug wires to be used as replacements.

Comment

My bike is wearing Dyna coils and wires. Highly recommended.

Mounting them requires a bit of ingenuity -- the spacing between the mounting holes is a little wider than stock.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Yes, Dyna is teh way to go!!
              Then you can just swap the plug wires when they wear out instead of buying a new set of coils for 100+ dollars each time they go out.

Comment

Can anybody verify if this fits my 83' 850g?

Comment

They will work. I have GSXR coils on my bike. Suzuki had a habit of using the same parts on many models even though the part numbers show them to be different. The only thing you might have to do is shorten a wire or two. Dyna coils are a good substitute but it is doubtful you gain anything performance-wise. I had Dynas at one time then went back to Suzuki coils after one of the Dynas crapped out.

Comment

The only thing you need to do is use your original spark plug caps
                    I would guess the are from 1991 not a 2001. 2001 had coil on plug they will not work, physically completely different The bandit still used a conventional coil

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                      The only thing you need to do is use your original spark plug caps
                      I would guess the are from 1991 not a 2001. 2001 had coil on plug they will not work, physically completely different The bandit still used a conventional coil
                      The Kats still use the old style coil since they use the oil cooled GSXR engines.

Comment

Working...
                      X