deadly wash killed my bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

deadly wash killed my bike

hi everyone! so i clean my '82 GS850G yesterday, and use the EngineBrite thing to make it more attractive. i tried to go easy on the electricals, as prescribed. i wash it down with moderate amount of water. i ran about 30 miles on it yesterday, no troubles starting. this morning the battery is dead, no go. anyone got ideas? did i kill the alternator? wires? anyone had any experience with that? i presume this is related to my cleaning frenzy of last night. thanks in advance.

What is the battery voltage? Voltage at the starter solenoid? Without knowing that, you're just guessing. A digital voltmeter can be had for $20-$30 at Radio Shack, and is an indispensable tool for diagnosing your own bike.

Comment

Hmmmm

Based on what you said, my guess is that one thing had nothing to do with the other. :?

I've washed lots of bikes lots of times and never had much of an issue. I always start them afterwards in order to dry everything out and it sounds as though you did that. I feel sure riding for 30 miles would be more than sufficient. Let us know and good luck.

P.S. I suppose if you were rubbing hard in some of the nooks and crannies, you might possibly have knocked a wire loose....
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Sounds like the stator isn't charging the battery while you went on the ride.
        You may have loosened a wire. Check/clean/lube all connections.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
        X