X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surging Throttle when turning

lets see, vitals first.
    1980 GS450L, 16k miles, 99%stock

ok, the problem, with the motorcycle running at idle sitting straight and level, the throttle will surge when you turn the bars beyond about halfway in either direction. I've had this problem before, this was my first motorcycle and now belongs to my girlfriend (with a owner in between). I'd solved the problem but don't remember how, and now it's doing it again. i can give any info needed if anyone needs it to come to a solution.
    I was planning to start teaching her to ride this weekend, but that being a massive safety issue all was called.

Thanks a ton all,
    Byron, Tupelo, MS

Sounds like your throttle cable is stretching when you turn. Check the routing and change till it will turn both ways with no tightness.

Comment

The throttle cable is routed incorrectly, or you added higher or pulled back bars and now the cable is too short. Reroute the cable so when the bars are in the full lock position the throttle cable still has slack in it.

Don't teach your GF how to ride with this problem unsolved. You are asking for trouble. In fact, why not just get her signed up in an MSF course and let a professional teach her.

Comment

Yup. Cable(s) are routed wrong or an old cable depends on constant lubing.
        I've even seen people put new grips on too far and the throttle grip rubs the housing too much. When the bars are turned, this added friction does't allow the throttle to return normally.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

The cable also needs to be firmly attached to the carbs.

Steve

Comment

cable and MSF

we've tried that route, nearest one is camp shelby about 300 miles away (if i remember right on distance) otherwise we'd both be going to one, and i've been riding for a while. anywho.
            there's a good bit of slack in the cable, might give it a try to lube it and try making sure everything is routed right, there's only a couple places to vary the route. the carb end is good and tight, and adjusted for a nice idle when the bars are straight. will give these things a try asap and maybe it'll work, if not i'll be back for more.

Comment

Working...
            X