HELP PROGRESSIVE FORK SPRINGS !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP PROGRESSIVE FORK SPRINGS !!

Has any one installed the progressive suspension fork sprins one there gs750L or 750E ??? I bought a set from dennis kirk and i find these are a huge four inches shorter than the two stock springs that are orignal ones.I check the specks on there web site and these are the correct springs , The footnotes say no spacer needed and also says some leading axles may need a spacer,Whats leading axles anyway ??? It seems a four inch spacer is a might large !!!!

Call Progressive Suspension, they have a tech support number that should be listed on their instruction papers.

A leading axle mounts to the front of the fork slider, as opposed to the bottom. A lot of the L models were leading axle.

Now, here's a tip: The next time you post, go back and edit it so we can read it and not have to decipher the darn thing. Is an answer to your question important to you? Then please post that way! :roll:

Comment

Four inches is way out. Stop right there.

Leading axle simply refers to the way the axle is mounted to the bottom of the fork. There are two ways that Suzuki used on these bikes. AFAIK it has nothing to do with springs.

Of course, I am wrong and FOS, but there are wiser heads than mine here who will put you right

You do have the manual, right ?

Pete

PS: I guess that would have made sense if ya hadn't beat me to it, jimcor

Comment

clarify
        The main issue is the progressive springs are four inches shorter than the two stock spings combined

Comment

Originally posted by graham harron
          clarify
          The main issue is the progressive springs are four inches shorter than the two stock spings combined
          OK, why not call the folks that made 'em?

I'll bet you have an L model bike, right? Because you mention two sets of springs. Well the L model fork was 'overstock' or extended, because this was a factory chopper bike and that was the style back then. So Suzuki used the same long spring with both the E and the L model, but the L model also got a short spring to compensate for the longer leg. Now, Progressive says not to use the short spring, use a spacer. On my 550L I used the spring anyway. To compensate I used less fork oil and a lighter grade or weight. You make you own decision. Make a spacer out of PVC pipe, or use the Progressive Springs and the short Suzuki spring. BTW a four inch long spacer is no big deal.

But graham, please, call Progressive Suspension tomorrow morning and talk to a tech rep.

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor
            BTW a four inch long spacer is no big deal.
            Er, I need to do a rapid retract here. Jim knows a hell of a lot more than I do.

Fortunately for you

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Logan
              Originally posted by jimcor
              BTW a four inch long spacer is no big deal.
              Er, I need to do a rapid retract here. Jim knows a hell of a lot more than I do.

Fortunately for you

Pete
              I had 10 over legs on my '72 Yamaha 650. You guessed it, those spacers were steel rods ten inches long in each leg to use the stock springs.

Man, the things we did!

I actually used to take that beast fireroading in California and race Canyon nuts the same weekend. I sound like CJ!

Comment

"A Man's Gotta Know His Limitations"

Jeez, I don't think my forks even have four inches in them.

An' I'm damn sure the rest of me don't

Thank God for people who know what they're talking about.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                X