Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS1100GK weird loss of drive power...cause?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100GK weird loss of drive power...cause?

While out for a ride on a interstate at 75-80mph the bike seemed to lose drive power to the rear tire. Almost like the clutch lever was pulled in, but not quite as abrupt. This happened twice at freeway speed on a 50 mile trip. The first time it was very momentary, the second time it seemed to last 5-10 seconds. I was doing about 80 when I noticed the change the second time. I moved into the slow lane but kept on the throttle. I was going down hill and I was able to maintain 70mph. As I started up hill, I thought I was going to be in trouble, but then it acted like something shifted or kicked in and I was on my way again. The clutch does not slip. I should add a little history on the bike. This morning before I left I changed out the gear oil in the rear drive and the transmission. I may revist this when I have a chance. (I may have slightly overfilled, problem??) I also changed the oil and oil filter 200 miles ago. Used Amsoil motorcycle oil. This is the first time I used this type of oil. Last year at the end of the season ( 1000 miles ago ) I had the rear gear on the wheel wear out. My clutch was slipping before so I first thought that problem then was the clutch, so I replaced the clutch plates and springs. When that did not work I replaced the rear gear ( not the proper name Suzuki name, used a new Suzuki part ) Any ideas? I sure hope it is not that rear gear again! That was $120 if I remember right. Thanks for any advice!

I would start again at the rear wheel Take the rear wheel off & take a close look at the drive splines on the wheel adapter

Comment

sure sounds like lynn could well be correct.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
        I would start again at the rear wheel Take the rear wheel off & take a close look at the drive splines on the wheel adapter
        I will do that, WHAT A PAIN! I can't belive that it would have worn out afrter only 1000 miles, unless I did something wrong in the replacement. I have heard that the new wheel adaptors are not as good as the pre 1980 ones. Maybe I will be checking out the salavage yards \ ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by dude
          Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
          I will do that, WHAT A PAIN! I can't belive that it would have worn out afrter only 1000 miles, unless I did something wrong in the replacement. I have heard that the new wheel adaptors are not as good as the pre 1980 ones. Maybe I will be checking out the salavage yards \ ebay.
          UPDATE:
          Splines are like new. Grease that I used also seemed to stay put nicely. I will insure proper oil levels to the rear drive and the transmission, since changing out the fluid on these was done before the ride where I noticed this potential problem. Would too much fluid cause a problem like this??

Comment

Working...
          X