waxing and paint clean up question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

waxing and paint clean up question

I am just wondering how I can keep my GS 700 looking good now that there looks to be a clear coating on my side panels pealing away from the paint, almost like a plastic coating or wax? These are the fiberglass side covers that I'm talking about. I'm wondering how or if this can be fixed since I would like to keep the bike in as original condition as possible. I also have several small scratches on the tank that I'm wondering if they can be buffed out or cleaned up somehow. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Unfortunately you could only remove the clearcoat that is peeling with some polish and elboe grease. This won't solve your problem but will clean the look up a bit. You probably need to just re-coat the panel with clearcoat.
    2010 Honda VFR1200F
    1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
    Being Revisited
    1981 Honda CM400T
    http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

The side panels are actually ABS or a similar material. The clear peels from the plastic decals that make up the graphics. You could lightly wetsand and recoat. Be careful sanding the decals. Once you cut through the surface the decals are white underneath.

Comment

Great, thanks Guys. Is there a clear coat that you would recommend to recover these areas?

Comment

If you don't have a spray gun and compressor etc. you could go
          the cheap route and use VHT (high temp) clear coat in a spray can.
          Can be found at auto parts store, Wal-mart. Suppose to be oil and
          gas resistant.

Comment

Thanks very much, I'll try that.
            Happy trails!
            Eric

Comment

The clear coat was peeling off the black decals on my GS700's side panels and tank as well. It was fine on the pearl painted parts, and the red decals however. I cleaned the black decals with alcohol, masked off the rest of the side panel(s) and tank, and repainted the black decals with dupli-color "clear" spray paint I got at Wal Mart. I put on four coats, lightly sanding between coats, and let it cure for a couple of weeks.

I then lightly hand-buffed the side covers with a rag and 3M rubbing compound, they look good as new. Unless you were looking for it, you'd never know it had been redone.
              sigpic

SUZUKI:
              1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
              HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
              KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
              YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Thanks Griffin, I'll try that technique out. Seeing your picture on the post is great, I always love seeing our bikes out there.

Comment

Working...
                X