No announcement yet.

Sudden massive top end mangling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was ample warning and it was ignored. End of story.

Earl

Originally posted by jimcor
    I explained I wasn't flamin' ya man. But when an engine starts making expensive noises, it's time to stop. If you don't, well, like they say: "You paid your money and you took your chances". I really am sorry for you.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor

Earl

I explained I wasn't flamin' ya man. But when an engine starts making expensive noises, it's time to stop. If you don't, well, like they say: "You paid your money and you took your chances". I really am sorry for you.
      I don't suppose you think people won't laugh their asses off at you when you blow a motor out of nowhere, eh Earl? Real classy stuff.

Comment

I'm normally pretty tuned into how the engine sounds. If I hear something strange, I stop and find out what it is. :-) Uhh, you didnt "blow a motor out of nowhere". You ignored a severe warning for an extended length of time.
        There is a difference there. :-) The next time, maybe you will listen. Thats not a flame either. Its simply a plain truth observation.

As you told me before, I know you prefer warm and fuzzy, sugar coated words, but sometimes, the truth just plain sucks. LOL

Y'know what I really like about engines? Its that they are not impressed by obligations, human foibles, social standing or for that matter, any kind of excuse, :-) and if they are going to run, no one is going to convince them it could be in their best interest not to. They are direct and consistant. They never deceive. :-) You should listen to your engine. It is truly your friend. eh eh

Earl

Originally posted by isaac
        I don't suppose you think people won't laugh their asses off at you when you blow a motor out of nowhere, eh Earl? Real classy stuff.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

He isn't bustin your chops issac. Earl is much older than you. You are young. There is wisdom in what he is telling you. We all make mistakes. Earl is showing you one that you made. It is actually very nice of him to take the time to do so. I feel for you buddy. I know how the time thing is and I can see that you made a choice and are not ashamed of it. For that, there is no shame. You stomped your motor, by choice, you'll fix it, that's the beauty of the GS and a young energetic mind

Earl has been around the block, he is just giving you "words to live by" for future events.

It's all good buddy

Comment

When you are getting loud, abnormal sounds from inside your engine, you have to assume that if you continue to run it, you will ruin it. The best you can hope for by shutting it down right away is that you haven't ruined it already. If you have an important obligation you feel you have to make then it just comes down to a straight economic decision.

Is the cost of major repair or replacement of the engine/bike going to be greater or less than what it will cost to miss or be late for your obligation? If you would lose your job by not being on time, it may just be cheaper for you to sacrifice the bike. If it was only a matter of getting docked a few hours pay, it's probably smarter to park the bike and arrange for some other transportation. Anything you do at that point is going to cost you. The only question is what is going to cost you the least. Cab fare might have been a real bargain next to buying another motorcycle. Sometimes there are no alternatives you like.

Sorry as hell about your bike; I truly am. But I know you'll be back up.
            Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

If it were I, I'd slap some used intake cam with used cam caps. As long as the cam will not bind in the caps, if they do sand them down. What do you have to loose but that's just me.

I think there's is or was a 16V 750 motor on ebay for 75 bucks.
              1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
              1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
              1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
              1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
              01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

My motto is "Drive it like you stole it but don't complain when it breaks." I've spent about a grand on parts for my car in consumable parts in the last 6 months. 8O The bike has been better to me this year than most. I think I've already busted everything that's weak other than the timing chain and cams and ahhh...I'd rather not think about it. hehehe

Cheers, Steve

Comment

Heh heh heh :-) :-) :-)

Earl

[quote="srivett2"]My motto is "Drive it like you stole it but don't complain when it breaks."

Comment

Originally posted by RacingJake
                      If it were I, I'd slap some used intake cam with used cam caps. As long as the cam will not bind in the caps, if they do sand them down. What do you have to loose but that's just me.

I think there's is or was a 16V 750 motor on ebay for 75 bucks.
                      That's not really bad advice. Keep yourself occupied while waiting for an engine to come your way. Flush the engine to get the chips out. And every now and then a shade tree repair like this will end up lasting.

Comment

So, what's an 83 GS750 head go for these days? and What other models will work? I thought I saw on here that the GS700 head would get the job done too?

Comment

Originally posted by isaac
                          Originally posted by earlfor

Earl

You are (understandably) upset, but the damage is done ....time to focus now on finding a quick & cost effective fix.....rest assured most people here will be on the lookout for parts/engine to get you back on the road .

Tony.
                          '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                          Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

[quote="earlfor"]Yep, just sacrificed your bike. Mechanical things dont care what ones schedule is. The engine said, "I'm broke", you said, "I dont have time", and the engine said, "see ya".

Comment

Isaac, man what'd ya do? I thought we was riding soon. Man, that really sucks.

Hey, don't fret it too much. Not sure of your financial situation, but I've seen heads on E-bay for cheap.

Keep looking and heads up man.

Later.

Comment

Working...
                              X