New owner of a '81 GS450s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New owner of a '81 GS450s

Just bought a GS450s for my wife to ride, and just picked it up this weekend. The funny part is I forgot to get the key... (doh!) and will go over and get the key on Tuesday.

I was told that the bike will start and run, but it cuts's out after a minute of running, the guy suspected that it might need a carb re-build. I have re-built carbs for my Yamaha XZ550 more times than I care to remember. Any suggestioins or tips for someone new to these carbs? and, would anything else be causing this cut-off?

The carb's are fairly simple,also check the fuel tap is working correctly,clean the fuel filter it's on the tap inside the tank.
    Check the breather on the fuel cap.
    Give it a good tune & service.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I have not even really looked too much at the bike yet, I am going off of what someone else said. Sounded to me more like a fuel flow into the carb problem. I have not taken the tank off yet (no key yet...) to check out any type of fuel pump.

Comment

No fuel pump.

Comment

Thank you, that will help. gravity system. I do not think the bike has very much gas in it, and that may be the problem. Was told that when the bike is running, it runs great.

Comment

you might wanna take the carbs off anyways (its sooooo easy, especially compared to the v45 sabre 8O ). On my GS400, the little screens that let fuel into the float bowls were plugged up, and I had major problems. At any rate, add a good MOTORCYCLE fuel filter inline to keep those things clean once you're done

Comment

Working...
            X