Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electronic ignition... how to match oem to aftermarket...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A dyna S system costs aprox $200 and requires a retrofit of a mechanical advance. The Dyna 2000 system has electronic advance (requires no mechanical advance unit) and is a programmable system. It costs aprox $400. I have both. Unless one is into drag racing or an activity where non stock ignition curves, limits and set points are desired, it is more than is needed.

Earl

Originally posted by intercessor
    Doesn't sound to bad. Except that I would have to find a mechanical advance now...Maybe a purley electronic system would be better. I have been trying to get ahold of Dynatech but they never answer the phone. Lets see how well e-mail works.

Thanks for your help again,
    intercessor
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

So if I went with a Dyna2000 I would have to know the ignition requirements and how to program them in? I looked at bikebandit.com and a mechanical advnce was going for $170, so in the end it appears to be a wash between the DYNA S and the DYNA2000 money wise.

Good day,
      intercessor

Comment

You can usually find a mechanical advance on ebay for about $10 or less. :-)
        There are probably some GSR members with one they dont need and would sell. Try putting a want ad in the parts wanted section.

Earl

So if I went with a Dyna2000 I would have to know the ignition requirements and how to program them in? I looked at bikebandit.com and a mechanical advnce was going for $170, so in the end it appears to be a wash between the DYNA S and the DYNA2000 money wise.

Good day,
        intercessor

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Hmmm, I emailed Dynatech and they replied that they did not have anything available for my GS300LF 1985. I am assuming they are refering to offical support.

Comment

Sounds like a challenge to me Earl
            Originally posted by earlfor
            It is impossible to install it incorrectly.

Earl

Comment

I expect some will try if only to prove me wrong. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Big N Daft
              Sounds like a challenge to me Earl
              Originally posted by earlfor
              It is impossible to install it incorrectly.

Earl

Comment

Im thinking about trying. I have never worked on a bike before, so I was hoping for an easy bolt on product.

intercessor

Comment

I just checked an online parts fische for your 85 GS300L. The stock ignitor and crank trigger are no longer available so I dont see that you have much choice in adapting a Dyna to fit your bike. How much mechanical experience do you have? Work on cars, lawnmowers, outboards or anything, any wrenching experience? Where are you? Maybe there is someone close enough by to lend a hand. Adapting a dyna is not that difficult, but a lot depends on mechanical experience as to how difficult it may seem.

Earl

Im thinking about trying. I have never worked on a bike before, so I was hoping for an easy bolt on product.

intercessor

Comment

If it means just slipping a mechanical advance on I can do that. Would the mechanical advance work for my bike just by putting it on? Is there any adjustments that I may have to make to the unit in order for it to correctly adjust my ignition? I can put things together etc. but I have little experience trying to time ignition. I'm not afraid to work on the bike, I am just concerned at spending hundreds on something and not get the right parts.

Thank you,
                    intercessor

Comment

The stock ignition rotor shaft that is fitted on the right end of the crankshaft is keyed into a recess on the crank end. The mechanical advance is a plate with a rotor shaft and two spring controlled advance counterweights. As the crankshaft turns, centrifugal force opens the weight arms which rotate the rotor shaft, which advances the point the rotor and triggers activate. There is no setting or adjustment of the installation of the advance mechanism. It keys into the same recess as the original rotor shaft did. Its literally, a stick it in part. Takes two seconds. :-) The part that complicates matters is that stock ignitions were manufactured by two companies in two configurations and the rotor shaft may be short or long. If its long, a dyna rotor once installed on the shaft may be too tall for the stock ignition cover to be put back on. Also, the two types use a different rotor, and they are not interchangeable. The mechanical advance unit make you use will determine the dyna style you need, either ND (Nippondenso) or KD (kokusan) Ask which it is when you buy one Mechanical advance units for ND systems used points held to the breaker plate with one screw. Advance units for KD systems used points held to the breaker plate with two screws. You may need to make a spacer to fit between the ignition cover and the crankcase to get enough clearance for the rotor so you can install the cover. I dont have a 300L, so I dont know the exact dimensions of your cover.

As far as I know, all GS models used the same diameter ignition base/breaker plate, so you should be ok there. Also, some GS models without adjustable electronic ignitions were not made with a plate and timing marks because there was no way to change the timing. Depending, you may need to find #1 TDC and draw a degree wheel to determine where to time the ignition once installed. Do you have a Clymer or service book for the bike that gives any info about timing it>

Also, from Sleepy's thread on ignitions...................
                      "Has anyone bought from Z1 Enterprises? Their prices on the ignitions are the lowest I found? $145.00"
                      Just in case you're looking for a source for a Dyna at a good price.

Earl

If it means just slipping a mechanical advance on I can do that. Would the mechanical advance work for my bike just by putting it on? Is there any adjustments that I may have to make to the unit in order for it to correctly adjust my ignition? I can put things together etc. but I have little experience trying to time ignition. I'm not afraid to work on the bike, I am just concerned at spending hundreds on something and not get the right parts.

Thank you,
                      intercessor

Comment

Thank you Earl for your help. I will have to look at my bike more once I get back from vacation in a week or so. I don't have a service manual yet, getting there though. Hopefully I will be able to ride again this year....

Later,
                        intercessor

Comment

Earl or someone else, how do I determine which model of Dyna S to get? Some of them looked like the coils had different angles on the ignition plate. Though I think my GS300L had 180 degree coils on the plate. Not certain though.

Comment

For what it's worth, I just finished installing a Dyna S, coils and wires on my GS1000. It was a good afternoons project. I noticed an immediate difference in starting and idling. I'm going to find a timing light and time it before I go on a long ride.

And I have a spare mechanical advancer for my bike. PM me if you're interested.

Comment

Do you still have that advance available? Do you have any specs on it?

Thank you
                              intercessor

Comment

Update on Dyna ignition system install:

One of the smarter moves I've made. Big difference in performance.

Still got the extra mechanical advance unit. Anybody here know about interchangeability? I have a GS 1000.

intercessor, where are you located?

Comment

Working...
                                X