plug read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plug read

Facts; 82 1100glz STOCK, except for single KN filter in air box.
    Rus very good. Starts instantly, Idles smooth, (500 rpm with no fault) Runs smooth through all rpm ranges. Very good low end pull, carbs, rebuilt and sync. All stock jets. 48+- mpg. Compression, valve adjust, spark, advance, fuel flow, etc all good
    Problem; Does not run like a dog on fire when you yank open the throttle. Runs best when ambient temp is cool, 40' to 60' and before engine gets warm. Is NOT cold blooded. (symptoms point to rich?) I have another 82' 1100glz with 1000cc cylinders on it, 4 into 1 V&H and stock air box. IT rips when you yank the throttle.
    Question; what is the PROPER procedure for a spark plug read?? I am sure many techs have a little twist on it.

Check here for info

1982 GS1000S Katana
    1982 GS1100E

Comment

thanks. The photos of the plugs are great. I have a pretty good handle on that. But getting back to my post. Should i be accelerating hard, shutting down, then reading the plugs to see condition. (since the bike dosen't accelerate as fast as I think it should) or should i do a steady cruise at 4,000 then do the plug read.

Comment

Throtle opening is the key,0-1/4 idle mix,1/4-3/4 needle jet ,3/4 to full main jet,overlap with all.
        500 rpm is way to low for idle 1000-1200.
        Rev's do not come in to plug reading's,throtle position.
        You may have to mark your throtle grip so you know what you are doing.
        Run at any seting you chose first,keep the speed constant for at least a mile ,hit the kill switch and pull in the clutch untill you stop .
        Pull the plug.

Comment

Working...
        X