GS 1100 shaft drive, weak or strong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1100 shaft drive, weak or strong?

I have just got into the GS bikes, Have a stock 82 GS 1100 GL and I am in love. I am wanting to know if the shaft drive system is strong enough to stand some occasional drag strip type abuse. Thanks in advance. Don Jackson

NO! If you want to drag race, get a chain driven GS. They work better for that purpose and their final drive mechanism is far easier and cheaper to replace. The shaft drive Suzukis from 82 forward had soft splines on the rear wheel. They wear out and have to be replaced at 30,000 miles or so under normal use. Drag racing would reduce that mileage considerably. You don't have to baby the G models by any means, but ride them for their purpose. Twisties, ok. Drag racing, not ok.
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

dpep, thanks for the response. I was not intending to drag the GL, but wanted to know what to expect if I decided to "drop the hammer" every now and then. Only had the bike a week and so far I have treated it with kid gloves. I love it and don't have the time or extra money to fix something broken by abusing the bike. Thanks again, Don Jackson

Comment

On the street, ride the snot out of it. The bike will love it, as long as you don't lose your license.

If you're expecting to actually take it to a drag strip and run a few quarter miles, then no, don't do it.

For actual racing use, you want the easy serviceability, lighter weight, greater driveline strength, and easy gearing changes of a bike with a chain.

For riding fast on the street, go right ahead and have fun! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
        X