Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me fix this problem

So I dropped my bike yesterday-- at a gas station of all places
    Over on its right side into the pumps, and the assembly on the right handlebar took the brunt of the blow. The whole thing (mirror, brake, start/kill-switch assembly) got twisted up about 90 degrees. The right side engine cover may have hit the concrete base of the pump, but I'm not sure-- that cover was scratched when I bought the bike, and there don't seem to be any additional scratches.

Some gas spilled out of my tank when it went over, so the first thing I did after lifting it upright was clean that off-- then I moved the brake et al back into position-- and started it. I had to really crank it, but once it got going it was fine-- as long as it was in Neutral.

When I shifted into first, it would not rev up. In fact, the fastest I could get it to rev was about 2000 rpm before it stalled and died. I pulled over to the side of the road, started it again in first, and it would slowly die. After half an hour of frustrated examinations, I figured that in Neutral the bike would run fine-- but in gear it just wouldn't go. No matter what I did with the throttle, even with the clutch in the bike would just give up the ghost after being in gear for about 30 seconds.

Until the drop, the bike was running fine-- I'd been out for about 90 minutes.

Does anyone have any clue what's going on here? And how it can be fixed? Answers much appreciated!

Whoops-- Forgot to mention that it's a 1980 GS 750 L with about 48,000 km.

I had the stator replaced last month, and gave it an oil change at the same time.

Comment

Been There!

Something similar happened to me a few years back. After determining that all cables were in working order and the same with the electrics, I pulled the carbs. When I took the bowl off of the left side, the side that met the pavement, I found the main jet in the bottom. I also noticed that all the floats had shifted enough to stick like the bowls were full when they were not. I feel your pain.

Comment

If you can visably see that the throttle mechanism is connected and operting properly, a first guess would be that you dislodged some grit that was i the bowls and now something is clogged. Since the gear shift lever is usually on the left side then i dont suspect that you have moved anything there--BTW when running normally, before the drop, were you able to start the bike when it was in gear and the clutch lever pulled in??

Comment

I would guess that you fouled the right side plugs with either gas or oil when it was on its side. Check them and change them if they are wet.

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
            when running normally, before the drop, were you able to start the bike when it was in gear and the clutch lever pulled in??
            Yep. It will still start -- with difficulty-- in gear. It just doesn't stay running.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbarian
              Originally posted by slopoke
              when running normally, before the drop, were you able to start the bike when it was in gear and the clutch lever pulled in??
              Yep. It will still start -- with difficulty-- in gear. It just doesn't stay running.
              I was looking for a lockout mechanism that may have moved--try the spark plug siggestion first---then see if some junk in your tank came lose and is restricting fuel flow-and heep us posted the answer is always there if you get enough feedback to this bunch of grease monkeys((monkeyesses ))

Comment

Barb;
                When you hold the clutch lever in, does it feel like it is grabbing.
                I'm asking this cause maybe the lower clutch mechanism, down by the oil cap, might have bent in with the fall.
                This will stall your engine when you attempt to engage the gear.

Check the lower clutch mechanism.
                Does your throttle work properly when not in gear?? Check this too.

Hope this helps

Comment

I had just walked in from looking at my bike and was going to suggest the same thing as Sebby. Good call.

Comment

This one has me totally stumped. I hope once you get it fixed you let us know what the problem was.
                    Axel

Comment

The bike is now running!

In the interests of starting with what you know, and since I have some experience with electrical stuff, I started with examining the kill switch for a short (as recommended by a guy I know in RL who has the same bike). Found a small spiderweb in the assembly, and the housing for the three wires was cut, but not the insulation for any of the actual wires.

I was planning to check the spark plugs, but inadvertently bought the wrong size socket bit from Canadian Tire. Looks like I get to return to mecca once again.

In the end it turned out my clutch mechanism was out of whack. Although I don't think the lever was actually bent, it could have twisted around the bolt that comes straight up out of the plates.

The repair essentially consisted of re-adjusting the clutch (both at the handle and at the lower locknut) to give it the proper amount of free play. At first I went too far in the other direction-- so that even with the clutch out the bike was barely moving at any RPM-- but that was quickly solved.

Thank you Sebby!

Comment

Well that problems solved.....Next.

Comment

You're quite welcome.

"On the road again...hmmmmmmm...On the road again"

Comment

Working...
                          X