I flubbed my new chain!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I flubbed my new chain!!

Okay, so I'm changing out the chain and sprockets Monday, and am all set to put the new chain on. I bought it longer than needed and removed two links. When I went to put on the master link, it was one link too short! :x #-o Now, am I screwed and just have to wait till the old chain chews up the new sprockets, or can I somehow get some length back into the new chain, ie, have the local shop add a rivet link?

Brad tt

Re: I flubbed my new chain!!

Brad, I screwed up in almost the same way. I ordered a new chain for the 1150 and having a blonde moment (not blonde) :-) I ordered 96 links (which is correct for my 750). Problem being, the 1150 takes 102 links. I added the needed links and installed a rivet link. You can too. It will be fine.

Earl

Originally posted by bradleymaynar
    Okay, so I'm changing out the chain and sprockets Monday, and am all set to put the new chain on. I bought it longer than needed and removed two links. When I went to put on the master link, it was one link too short! :x #-o Now, am I screwed and just have to wait till the old chain chews up the new sprockets, or can I somehow get some length back into the new chain, ie, have the local shop add a rivet link?

Brad tt
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

if you need a chain rivet/press tool I have one...

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
        Brad, I screwed up in almost the same way. I ordered a new chain for the 1150 and having a blonde moment (not blonde) :-) I ordered 96 links (which is correct for my 750). Problem being, the 1150 takes 102 links. I added the needed links and installed a rivet link. You can too. It will be fine.

Earl

Brad tt
        Thank goodness!! =D> I've noticed a great increase in mpg since the change in sprocket (46mpg to 60mpg!) and I don't want to lose it if my only option is to reduce the front sprocket size.

Steve, I'd take you up on the rivet tool, but the bike threw the chain this afternoon, and the master links I bought to fix it (temporarily) don't allow for me to put on the outer plate of the master link (ie I had the link and only the clip to get me home today).

Brad tt

Comment

I think I posted the offer before... I have a 530/112 DID rivet chain I can offer...

Comment

Thank goodness!! =D> I've noticed a great increase in mpg since the change in sprocket (46mpg to 60mpg!) and I don't want to lose it if my only option is to reduce the front sprocket size.
            A 33% increase in your gas mileage? How many teeth did you change that sprocket?
            Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by dpep
              A 33% increase in your gas mileage? How many teeth did you change that sprocket?
              The front sprocket was a 14t (OEM is 15t) and I believe the rear was a 42t. If I can get the chain taken care of I'll be able to see just how accurate this is. I was only able to put around 250 miles on with the new set up (16t front, 41t rear).

Brad tt

Comment

Hmmm, thats about a 10% reduction in rpm. I would think a milage improvement in the 4-5 mpg range would be expected.

Earl

The front sprocket was a 14t (OEM is 15t) and I believe the rear was a 42t. If I can get the chain taken care of I'll be able to see just how accurate this is. I was only able to put around 250 miles on with the new set up (16t front, 41t rear).

Brad tt

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Maybe the increased MPG you got Brad was from all the pushing you did?

Comment

Hmmmm... problems with chains? What are these aggravating chains you are referring to? My 1100G has never given me these strange problems you speak of...

Steve 8)

Comment

Gearhead!!

Earl :-)

Originally posted by Planecrazy
                      Hmmmm... problems with chains? What are these aggravating chains you are referring to? My 1100G has never given me these strange problems you speak of...

Steve 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy

Steve 8)
                        Good luck on improving your mileage, Mr.-I-drive-the-next-largest-SUV-compared-to-an-H2! :P

Brad tt

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                          Maybe the increased MPG you got Brad was from all the pushing you did?
                          QUIET YOU!!!! :x

Brad tt

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                            Hmmm, thats about a 10% reduction in rpm. I would think a milage improvement in the 4-5 mpg range would be expected.

Earl

Brad tt
                            To give you an idea of the difference it's made, Earl, the bike used to cruise at 4K rpm in 5th and be doing 60, now it's doing 3500 rpm at that speed. I'm doing 70 at 4K.

Brad tt

Comment

70 mph at 4k rpm is what my 1150 does. With the bike tuned spot on, I can get 45 mpg at a steady 70 mph. I could lean it a bit and maybe pick up 5 mpg, but I dont think I'm going to ever see 60 mpg. :-)

Earl

To give you an idea of the difference it's made, Earl, the bike used to cruise at 4K rpm in 5th and be doing 60, now it's doing 3500 rpm at that speed. I'm doing 70 at 4K.

Brad tt

Comment

Working...
                              X