Pre synch ritual and manifold boot questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre synch ritual and manifold boot questions

Nothing big, just curious about a couple things. I have a new baby on the way; 78 GS750 with some carb issues. Yay! Same general issue I had with the 77 I owned before I went away to the desert. I've ordered Robert Barr's o-ring kit, and am trying to track down some float bowl gaskets. While I have the carbs off I might pull the manifold boots off and inspect them, and then replace the o-rings and the phillips screws with allen bolts. My question is, on Robert's page he gives a part number for a that o-ring for a GS850. Will that be the same part number for the GS application? I'm assuming so, but was curious.

I also might be in the market for a set of 4-1 pipes to replace my stock exhaust. What other engines sizes are going to fit a 78 GS? I would assume 850 would, and maybe even 1000, but I have no clue.

And finally, what is the proper procedure to follow in order to (I think the term is) bench sync my carbs after complete disassembly and cleaning, prior to reinstallation and vacuum synching. Thanks much, have a good day,

Ryan

I'm no expert, but to bench sync the carbs I adjusted them all to the the one the had the smallest opening, of which there wasn't a great difference. I fit a drill bit in that one and then set the other three with the same bit as a gauge. I have round slides in my carbs so the bit goes under the slide at the opening in the throat. Worked for me.

Comment

Re: Pre synch ritual and manifold boot questions

Originally posted by rmpanzer23
      And finally, what is the proper procedure to follow in order to (I think the term is) bench sync my carbs after complete disassembly and cleaning, prior to reinstallation and vacuum synching. Thanks much, have a good day,

Ryan
      Here you go:

Comment

Here's the cross-reference for that o-ring:

Looks like "no". You'll need to check a fiche site to find the correct part number.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Answer my own question on the o-ring, kinda...

First off, thank you Hoomgar. I saw mention of that post by Keith where he details the process, but for the life of me could not find it. Thanks.

Regarding that o-ring, I actually made my way down to the local Suzuki dealer this afternoon, and they referenced the computer and came back with PN 09280-32006, for future reference. And lo' and behold, they had 4 of them for me. Now, as to whether they are proper part or not, I'll find out when I get the bike and take the boots off. I had issues a couple years ago with my '77 I had, and the computer saying this was the correct PN for the application, but when it came from Suzuki it was not correct. I can't really blame them....it's only 27 years old. For them to support it at all anymore is a bit of a wonder.

Thanks, everyone, for your assistance. Have a good one,

Ryan

Comment

Re: Pre synch ritual and manifold boot questions

Originally posted by rmpanzer23
            Same general issue I had with the 77 I owned before I went away to the desert --Thanks, everyone, for your assistance. Have a good one

If this is the desert I'm thinking of....we should be thanking you

Comment

Working...
            X