gs450/550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs450/550

Are the frames on the 450 and 550 the same? I have an 82 gs 450L, and was wanting to put a swing arm from a 550. Would this work on my 450? What size rear tire does the 550 have? I would like to have a rear disc brake on my 450 like the 550 has.

The GS450 only weighs 400 lbs. or so. I like my drum rear brake, no way will it ever lock up, and is perfect for a little bit of trail braking in a corner. Read reviews about GS500's and you'll see how most of 'em don't like the rear disc, it's got no feel and locks up way too easy. Especially if you ride in the wet, the drum brake is the way to go. But if you must, check bikebandit.com for part numbers to see if the swing arms and/or hardware are the same. You might be looking at more work than it's worth. Remember in a panic stop, or any stop, the front brake is your friend and it's where the stopping power is. The weight transfers where? Forward! MSF courses will teach you to use both brakes 50/50, that's to keep newbs from favoring one brake over the other and to keep the bike stable as you stop, but in a panic situation when you grab a handful, the ratio is more like 70/30. IMO, the time and money would be better spent getting the front brake working perfectly, stainless or Kevlar lines, etc. and, you'd have enough left over for a hi-quality front tire like a GT501, AM21 or ME77

Comment

Thanks, I will look into replacing the brake lines. Where can new brake lines be purchased?

Comment

Almost anywhere bike parts are sold

http://www.denniskirk.com sells various lines and banjo bolts. Other places also sell kits where you cut your own line and install to fit your specific needs. For our single disc it might be easier to just measure the one you have now and buy a pre-made replacement of the same length. Something I have been meaning to do for a while.

Also you'll want to get one that has the clear plastic coating, there is a good chance it'll mess up your forks after a while of rubbing if you don't.

Comment

Working...
        X