Another clutch question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another clutch question

What are the possible causes for clutch slipping? Is it due mainly to misadjustment and worn plates or maybe something else like a bent pushrod? For a typical rebuild what parts are required? I've ordered some plates and springs, I went with the cheaper set of plates. I don't think that I'll ever put enough miles on it for them to be a benefit.

Thanks
    Ports
    '82 GS550LZ

Number one reason (that I know of) is weak springs.

Next could be things like a badly adjusted clutch cable (this is unlikey as cables stretch, but if it was installed too tight...).

I believe there was even one story about a loose retaining bolt somewhere?

Comment

Ok, I think maybe my adjustment may be off slightly. Is there a way to adjust the pushrod on my bike or is the only adjustment for the cable? I'll look at this before I tear it down. It kinda happened all of a sudden after I reassembled the bike. I would think that slippage would come on more gradual over time. Maybe this will help with the small friction zone on my clutch. It has been like either it is engaged or disengaged with little middle ground. Is this common on our GS's? PS Its got 22500 miles or so which seems to be the service limit from what others are saying.

Thanks
      Ports
      '82 GS550LZ

Comment

Is there any play in the clutch lever?

There should be about 4mm (I think) of free play in the lever before it puts real tension on the cable. Consult Clymer on where to measure and how much play, I just want to make a point about needing a small amount of slack in the cable to allow the clutch to fully engage.

Adjust this play with the knurled (sp) knob located where the cable connects to the lever.

BTW for anyone else, mechanical brakes (drum) should be adjusted in a similar way every couple hundred miles.

Comment

I cant recall for sure if there is free play or not. I suspect that there isn't. I plan to take a peek at this tonight when I get home from work. Is it possible to adjust the worm mechanism? I recently had to straighten the push rod, but if it is bent this would lead to the clutch dragging, not slipping right?

Thanks
          Ports
          '82 GS550LZ

Comment

Well, it was a simple fix. I just had to loosen up the clutch cable. Once I thought about it a little it made sense, nothing else really changed. When I noticed it slipping originally I tightened it more. Too bad I ordered the plates and springs. Live and learn I guess.

Keep up the good work.
            Thanks
            Ports
            '82 GS550LZ

Comment

What oil are you using? Some of the newer automobile oils have anti friction additives in them and can cause a clutch to slip. The older wet clutch type bikes need SAE SE rated and not beyond SG . I use aa motorcycle specific oil designed for wet clutches.

Comment

I'm using castrol SAE 20W-50. I knew it wasnt the oil though because it always was fine with that oil before. Like I said it had to be a simple fix and it was about as simple as it could have been. At times I thought about adjusting the cable, but I just tightened it instead of loosening. Thanks again

Ports
                '82GS550LZ

Comment

Working...
                X