Pic's and Questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pic's and Questions.

Hey All, This is the 81 GS450s I bought (not running) I was able to to some work on her, cleaned out her carbs, petcock, and did some minor wiring to get her running.

She has a really interesting handlebar setup, which is what attracted me to the bike. After a few (ok... many) hours of working on her, I was able to ride her around for about 30 minutes. She rides like a little Gixxer. has a Mac exhaust on her, and I really like the sound.

Now the question part. I do not have a manual yet, so if someone could help I would really appreciate it. The bike has some aftermarket wiring back by the Starter Solenoid area, and has 1 fuse. After charging a battery, I put it in, and she had no power, but I found that the main power wire (with a aftermarket in-line fuse holder) was not plugged anywhere. Just to check it out, I ran it straight to the battery (I know it should not go there, but I was checking to see if the bike ran) my question is where does that go. I was thinking it might go over to the starter Solenoid, but I am not sure, and do now want to start touching live wires everywhere and make the problem worse!

When the lead comes from the battery, into the Solenoid, does a wire get pulled off of there into a fuse, and then into the wiring harness?

I drained the battery this way when I was riding around (because the power was being pulled from there instead of the charging system) and at fist thought I had a bad stator. After thinking about it, I realized I was drawing my power from the battery. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I had a blast riding this bike around. every so often I would loose "spark" and now that I think about it, I do not think I had enough juice in the battery to fire the coils.

I'd say the best thing you can do is get a manual, Haynes or Clymer. They should both have wiring diagrams. If I wasn't in the middle of packing I could help you out with a shot or two of the diagrams...

That bike has a lot of interesting aftermarket stuff on it. Those are some pretty nifty clip ons there. What did they do with the top of the triple? I have been considering clip ons. *edit, ok I see the plate they put there* I just wonder what I could do to the area that the bars go in now to make it look clean.

Does a 450 really need an oil cooler?

*edit2... ummm that battery is on its side?!?!

I'd love some better shots of the peg set-ups.

Comment

Ummm. yeah, you got me. That battery is on it's side! I did that to ride it around a little. I was dying to try this bike out! My bike is in the background of the first pic. This one looked like a lot of fun to ride. It is supposed to be for the wife....

The pegs are wayyyy back there (you should see how long the shifter bar is!) but I did not get a very good Pic of that area, I will take one and post it later. and I thought a oil cooler was a bit much also, but hey, every little bit helps!

Comment

WOW! That is a serious Cafe Racer!
        They have enough gauges on that thing to run a race!

Comment

Great Bike!
          The bracket for the stock pegs and exhaust has been replaced by that perforated metal strip. I'm interested in doing a similar peg setup. Do you see any reason that the black mount on the exhaust couldn't attach to the frame behind the battery instead?

Comment

I have not gotten that far yet! I am still trying to keep it running! I do not like that strap at all, looks like it came from Lowes or Home Depot! I am tracing down a little electrical gremlin in the bike, sometimes it has spark, sometimes it doesent..... I hate those "disapearing spark" gremlins... they are tough to catch!

Comment

Originally posted by Superfly
              My bike is in the background of the first pic.
              OOOOO a Yamaha vision!!!! 1982 from the front brake I do believe!

considering that you are in Nevada (Reno) the oil cooler is good to have, it gets hot there in the summer.

Comment

You know my Vision! Not too many people know the Vision. I have argued with a Yamaha dealership about the Vision. "Yamaha did not make a XZ, you are thinking about a Kawasaki ZX he kept telling me.

Knowing that it is an 82 by the front brakes means you must have owned one! She is great. I love my Vision. I am a sucker for a V-twin! Once you track down all of the gremlins in that bike, it is amazing! (kind of funny that I have another one with electrical gremlins!)

I am in Lancaster Calif. (the desert) so the oil cooler will help.

I just painted it, here is my Vision.

Comment

Working...
                X