Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where oh Where is the Tranny Drain Bolt??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where oh Where is the Tranny Drain Bolt??

82 gs850l.... I cant find it, I did the diff. and the motor oil.. but where is the tranny oil drain plug? thanks-darren

EDIT- also how much tranny oil is suppose to go in?

nvm... I found this thread-http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/viewtopic.php?t=37011&highlight=drain+bolt
    -darren

Comment

I'm not sure about your 850 but on my 80 550e the motor oil is both the motor and tranny oil.

Comment

I assume you are talking about the secondary gear where the shaft drive comes off of the engine. You will have to remove that plate that is just below the filler cap; it is the one that will require you to slide off the shift lever to remove. You want 90 wt gear oil in there, not motor oil; and certainly not ATF. The capacity is listed at 11.5 to 13.5 US ozs. (340-400 cc). But what you will actually do is remove the little level screw that will be visible when you take the plate off. Pour oil in the filler hole SLOWLY until oil starts coming out of the level hole.
        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

As dpep indicated. The level plug is a small bolt (10mm head I think), and at a glance it looks like an engine bolt. If you look around a little, though, you will see something like "oil level" with an arrow pointing to the plug stamped on the frame down there.

You don't want to overfill either, as this may lead to overflow 90 weight coming out a small tube on the top of the engine case that eventually goes through your starter cavity and out a hole in there that will drain eventually onto your exhaust pipes. (Guess how I know.)

So when you start to see gear oil flowing out of the level hole, let it flow until it completely stops. It may take 15-20 minutes, but it's worth waiting in the end.

Also, you may want to invest in a new fiber washer to replace the gasket on the level plug. Mine cost a few cents at the hardware store, but I had to file out the inside diameter a little to get it it fit over the plug bolt.

Good luck and enjoy.

Comment

Working...
          X