Rubbing sound from front end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rubbing sound from front end?

Just looking for a little advice on what to look for. Lately, when at low speeds (pulling into a spot to park, etc) or making a sharp right hand turn, I get a low squeak/rubbing sound from the front of the bike. The only thing that I have done to the front end lately was change the brakes a month ago. This is the '77 GS750 model that came with a single disc in the front. Also, since changing the front brake pads, it is very squeaky when braking (and sounds embarrassing). What can I do to eliminate the squeak?

could it be the speedometer drive on the left side of the wheel?

i had a squeaky front wheel once, and i cured it by greasing the speedo drive and straightening the engaging tabs.

just speculating...

Comment

Probably just the pad. Take the pad off and swirl it around on a somewhat rough concrete surface (driveway?) for a while....roughen it up a bit, that'll take care of that squeak/squeal.
      Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
      "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
      1982 GS1100E
      1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Cool. Will give it a shot this weekend. :-)

Comment

There's a set of clips that go behind the pads.
          When i did the brakes on my 1000S, the yweren't installed correctly.
          I did it and they SQUEELED big time.
          Pulled it all apart and re-installed, all's quiet now.
          They're supposed to quell the sqeeel as a pad will sometimes have pressure against the disc.

There was an article last month in Cycle world? about shims for the pads that were supposed to stop the squeel.
          Never tried them, the writer said he used them and they worked.

Re-check the pads and those clips. And scuffing the pads before install won't hurt.
          Use a scotch brite pad,nothing real abrasive
          Keith
          -------------------------------------------
          1980 GS1000S, blue and white
          2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I got the squeal handled, a little scuffing did the trick. Still wrestling with the turning/rubbing sound though... Could a wheel bearing be the culprit?

Comment

Working...
            X