Electronic Igntion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electronic Igntion

I have a 1978 GS750 - looking to replace the points on it.

I'm confused by what ignition I have - I was looking at this site and it lists two different dyna s ignitions for the 750 - what one is correct? How do I tell?

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

I looked for something stamped on the points plate - but don't see anything obvious? Is it on the back?

Is this a good price for a dyna? I looked at a few other sites and this seems to be a good price - any one dealt with these guys?

Re: Electronic Igntion

The difference between the two is the rotor. 750's came with two different manufacture ignitions. Nippondenso (ND) and kokusan (KD). The easiest way to tell which one is on your bike is to look at one of your sets of points. The Nippondenso (ND) pointset will have only one hold down screw in the middle of the pointset. The Kokusan (KD) ignition has two hold down screws on each pointset. Also, the breaker plate on the Nippondenso ignition is stamped ND on the lface on the left side between the pointset and cam. The letters however are about 1/2 mm high and difficult to read with anything smaller than a 6" magnifying glass. :-)
    Just count hold down screws on your pointset. One screw is ND. Two screws are KD.

Earl

Originally posted by Sleepy

I'm confused by what ignition I have - I was looking at this site and it lists two different dyna s ignitions for the 750 - what one is correct? How do I tell?

I looked for something stamped on the points plate - but don't see anything obvious? Is it on the back?

Is this a good price for a dyna? I looked at a few other sites and this seems to be a good price - any one dealt with these guys?
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Thanks - looks like I have a ND points plate then.

Has anyone bought from Z1 Enterprises? Their prices on the ignitions are the lowest I found? $145.00

Anyone know of any cheaper places?

Comment

Thats the lowest price I have heard lately.

Earl

Thanks - looks like I have a ND points plate then.

Has anyone bought from Z1 Enterprises? Their prices on the ignitions are the lowest I found? $145.00

Anyone know of any cheaper places?

Comment

I bought a dyna from Z1 Ent and it arrived yesterday - talk about quick shipping...

Fitted it today - real easy - I expected it to be difficult and it only took me about an hour - and most of that was wrestling with old fuel hose - not sure this tank had ever been off judging by the old wasp nests under the tank - damn - glad they wern't active - I never expected that...

Bike seems to idle better.

Now I have to save up for some new coils...

Comment

Good going. Dyna S's are pretty straightforward to install. Anytime someone is having trouble with setting one up, I am sure of one thing.
            They didnt read the directions. LOL :-) :-)

Cheers!

Earl

I bought a dyna from Z1 Ent and it arrived yesterday - talk about quick shipping...

Fitted it today - real easy - I expected it to be difficult and it only took me about an hour - and most of that was wrestling with old fuel hose - not sure this tank had ever been off judging by the old wasp nests under the tank - damn - glad they wern't active - I never expected that...

Bike seems to idle better.

Now I have to save up for some new coils...

Comment

The lectronic igntion does make a noticeable difference. Its like having new points all the time.

Comment

Yeah, kinda nice isnt it? :-)

Earl

Originally posted by saaz
                The lectronic igntion does make a noticeable difference. Its like having new points all the time.

Comment

The electronic ignition on the GS750 continues to work well - so I just went and bought one for my other bike (a K*w*s*ki 650) and the ignition prices are way less.

Just $120 for the Dyna-S...

Jeff at Z1 said Dyna just lowered the prices dramatically on the ignitions... sweet... I wish I'd waiting a couple of months to buy the one for the GS

Comment

Really glad to have found this site. I just bought a 1983 GS550ES that don't run. Got a manual, ran down problem to be the ignitor box. This bike has not run in years and the box was unhooked, so I think this is the problem. So' where do I find one of these cheap or how about the Dyna system. Is the ignitor box the same on any other models. Found one box' but it has wires rather than plug ins. What's up with this? It seems to be a common problem with these bikes so share some worthwhile experience with me.--TKS

Comment

Yeah, I bought one from them and I think they are great. Besy prices I really could find (rather stated I couldn't find anything cheaper) and the guy that runs the place is a great person to do business with.

Comment

If you think your ign module is bad the Dyna is the way to go
                        I bought one for my 79GS850 Special factory sale $99 that was like 2 years ago. One of these days I need to install it

Comment

Re: Electronic Igntion

Actually the thing your looking for is on the advancer unit under the points plate, On my 78 GS1000 it has a very small ND in a circle stamped and the advancer unit, It probly has to do with the new trigger unit for the elect ignition has to fit over the particular advancer in your bike.

Comment

Working...
                          X