1982 GS650G Carb problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS650G Carb problem

While trying to clean the carbs on my new (old) GS650, we broke what I think is called a float post (one of the two posts that hold the pins that the float is attached to). We thought it should just slide out but it would not come out so we tapped it gently with a hammer and drift and it broke. :-(

I have a few questions:

1) Can I fix it? I was thinking of JB weld but maybe there is something better. Somebody mentioned an epoxy used in marine applications that would not break down even in carb cleaner type solvents. Anyone know what this is?

2) If not, how much should I pay for a used set and where would I look.

TIA

Dan

Do a search on this site. Someone posted that you can use JB weld but there was also a site posted that you could send your carb to and have it welded. Might be a better fix.

Comment

JB Weld has worked so far for me. Just be very careful not to weld the float. When I got my 650, one of the floats was welded. I ended finding a total of three posts welded back on. I have since replaced two of the carbs from a set I got off of eBay. I am now down to one post welded and things are working well. This winter I am planning a carb cleaning and synching and I will check the weld again at that time.

Good luck.

Comment

I just had my carbs apart and found that the previous poor soul who did a carb cleaning had broken a float post, and had welded it back on with JB weld. The JB Weld was begining to break down under the gas, and the carb dip finally did it in. I tried to reweld with my trusty JB Weld, and then rediped to see what would happen to it. It agian did not survive the test. The site mentioned was www.motorcyclecarbs.com. I sent off my carbs (I had 2 stuck solid, frozen, heads stripped off pilot screws as well as the broken post) and they fixed them better than new with a marine adhesive and with a shaft placed in the float post pieces as well as removing the screws and chasing the threads in the hole. Communication was good, turn around was 2 days after the recieved my carbs, they were on their way back to me. It was a little pricey, but worth it if you are not mechanically inclined. During this process I was also able to acquire a set of used carbs off ebay, (sets go from 10.00 to 80.00 depending on the type and what they look like in the pictures.) so I will have all the spare parts I need. Best of luck... 8)

Comment

Working...
        X